Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Ram My 2007 Mercruiser Bravo V8 runs for approximately 45…

Hi Ram My 2007 Mercruiser Bravo...
Hi Ram
My 2007 Mercruiser Bravo V8 runs for approximately 45 minutes then stops I've replaced the fuel filter along with the fuel pump the distributor and the distributor cap however this problem still occurs after 45 minutes in idle can you offer any suggestions what this could be many thanks Richard
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Richard, my name is***** read what you wrote. Mercruiser engines are cataloged by serial number, do you have that number available so I can look up and see exactly what you have?

its 2A480458

T​hat's the serial number for the sterndrive. I would need the one for the engine. This is just to identify what you have.

Sorry about that its 1A048309

Okay got it. To get started you are going to need a fuel pressure gauge, a timing light, and a scan tool so we can try and figure out exactly what is going on with the engine. Do you have those tools?

No i dont have any of these tools.

I​f you don't have the tools this isn't anything you can fix yourself, and you are going to have to bring it to the dealer. Was there some way I could help you, did you have any questions I could answer for you?

I've been reading some forums that mention the oils preasure switch could effect the fuel pump . Seen my problem only happens after the engine is warm is there any sensor that could be stopping the fuel going into the engin. After 45min it sounds like the choke has come on and its either flodding or starving for fuel. As soon as you apply the throttel it dies. Does that give you ant clues as to what maybe causing it ?
Thanks

N​o, and that's not how it works on this engine. The oil pressure switch doesn't have anything to do with the fuel pump on this engine.

Thanks
Ok thanks. I'll just have to wait till next month when a spot becomes available at the local dealer for them to check it.
Thanks for your help

You are welcome. These engines are complicated and unless you have all the tools there is nothing you can do yourself. Good luck.

Ok i want to test for voltage drop can you advise me on how to do this ?

G​ood morning. What are you trying to test voltage drop on? Which circuit?

I want to test the fuel pump for voltage drop.

Th​at wouldn't make any sense. You really just need to bring this into the dealer.

For your information if you you tube this it explained exactly what to do . So here's another question seen you can not answer my request. .
How can I tell if my ingnition coil is faulty ?
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, let me see if I can jump in here and help you. I'm not sure what you saw on youtube, but you can put a small test light across the fuel pump leads as soon as it dies and see if you are getting power there. You either need an ohmmeter or a way to check spark to check the coil. You should have continuity between the = and - terminals but no continuity between those terminals and the center (coil wire) terminal or the casing of the coil. You should have continuity between the center terminal and the case. If it fails just do the same checks and see if either coil (there are 2 in there, primary, connected to the terminals, and secondary, center terminal to case.) has opened up. Or you can get a spark checker at the auto parts store for a couple of bucks and see if it sparks after it stalls.

Hi thanks for your advise. I'm getting spark after it dies. As I pulled the Hi voltage lead from the coil and connected it to a screw driver to the end of it and earthed it to see if ive got spark.
However I might get a spark tester and double check . As I will get a better look if this is the problem.
I will let you know how it goes once ive purchased it and checked .

Great, let me know.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
I had to order a spark tester in and its not due here till the 6th feb as they don't have them in stock.