Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Flemming again again here from DK. Firing up my Mercruiser…

Hi Jason, Flemming again again...
Hi Jason, Flemming again again here from DK.
Firing up my Mercruiser 4.3 V6 is a succes, only I have an issue I'd like to run by you.
When firing up I get sparks from the distributor case to the carburator, on the outside. I've attached a photo of the top view where You can see the distributor on the reight and carburator on the left, and it's between them two I have momentarily sparks.
Any ideas as to what this is caused by?
1/18/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Flemming, Jason here. Is spark actually jumping through the distributor cap itself over to the carburetor?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's not from the cap, it from the part that goes in to the engine. On the back of it there is to holes with treads in it, but I haven't put any srews in it. But yes sparks are jumping to the carburator.

I am trying to follow along. Are Sparks are jumping from the engine block itself over to the carb?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve tried putting tape over the holes, but that doesn’t help any.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It looks like it is from the lower part of the distributor to the carburator.

O​kay got it. You have a high tension leak someplace. High tension means the same thing as high voltage. The ignition coil sends out roughly 20 thousand volts over to the distributor via the coil to cap plug wire. And then the distributor sends that voltage to each spark plug. The coil, the cap, the plug wires, and even the plugs themselves are all normally insulated enough to keep that voltage from leaking out. So the problem you have is 1 of those items is leaking, and it's just a question of finding it. What you would want to do is get a long screwdriver with a good insulated plastic handle. From there, get a piece of scrap wire with alligator clips on each end of it. The wire can by as long as you need it to be. Basically what you need is a small jumper cable. What you want to do is jump 1 end to any good clean engine ground, or directly to battery ground if you are able to. Take the other end of this jumper wire and clip it to the screwdriver, up near the handle. Basically what you are doing here is you are going to use this screwdriver as a probe, similar to a lightning rod. The screwdriver will now be grounded out, and what you want to do is run the screwdriver all around the coil, all around the distributor cap, up and down all of the plug wire ect. What you are looking for is you are going to try to attract the sparks that you see over to the screwdriver. What is going to happen is you are going to wave that screwdriver over a certain part, and you are going to start to notice sparks jumping from that part over to your screwdriver. This will be easier to see if you can do it in dark light. It will also be easier if you can mist the ignition components down with some water in order to make them more conductive. What you are going to find is something, be it a spark plug, a plug wire, the ignition coil, or the distributor cap, is going to start sparking between that part and your lighting rod screwdriver, and that is going to tell you which part has the high tension/high voltage leak. Does that all make sense to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would i need to start the engine or just crank it with ignition on but no gasline attached?

You would normally do it with the engine running. At least I would if I was doing this.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, excellent, I will try that tomorrow, heading home here now. Bye.

Y​ou are very welcome. Just let me know if you have a hard time finding the leak.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic