Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Got to the boat ramp this am, and here's what happened: 1) I…

Got to the boat ramp...
Got to the boat ramp this am, and here's what happened:
1) I electric started the motor before leaving my house to make sure it cranked, but didn't give it any throttle, just idled it for a second and turned it off.
2) I get to the boat ramp and start to crank it while going down the ramp, all the power goes out due to a blown fuse.
3) We direct connect a battery to the engine (no fuses) and put jumper cables on the battery to make sure we're getting juice, as I'm pressing the button, the starter is just barely turning the flywheel (kind of like your car when its running out of battery). We wait and wait for it to charge up, nothing until eventually it just won't even turn the wheel at all.
4) Tried to hand crank, got no where (it was 9 degrees this morning).
5) Put the boat in my garage, got it warmed up in there, batteries charged, my two bank charger says they're OK - whatever that's good for - its a ProSport and I think those will actually load test the battery.
6) Now everytime I hit the starter button, I get a click, but no actual engagement of the starter motor.
1/17/2018
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It will be at 6 pm tonight before I can get back to it.

Ok, first check the power at the battery and the starter solenoid. They should be with in .5V of each other. Then check the voltage at those 2 items when trying to crank the engine over. It should not fall to below 9.5V at either place. If it does, look for a loose connection or you just have bad battery cables. It is is good, test the voltage that is going to the starter stud when trying to crank it. Again it should not be less than 9.5V.

I should be here around 6, but I have a bug and am not sure how I will feel at that time.

Can you get to the positive post on the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where it goes into the starter yes

What is the voltage to it when you press start? And its not 6 CST yet....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay it’s a short somewhere this time it made more noise but then all voltage dropped to .09. Let me fiddle... I’ll be back at 6

LOL. See it you have a loose connection at the battery or one of the posts. If not, then pull the plugs from the motor and try to crank it over then.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nope, False alarm voltage is pure at 12.5-.9 volts at the base of the starter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This means my starter is dead don’t it? :(

Pull the plugs and see how the tips of them look. They should be tan to black

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay.... I feel pretty confident that I could hand crank it, but my pull handle is messed up and I can get it back on (will need your help with that one next.

I am just curious on how they look, since it started at home.

Looks good

Gap may be a bit large. Should be 0.040

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
bad starter.... ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Switch wouldn’t click if it was that I assume

Yes bad starter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you help me locate the starter housing part? Boats.net says he part is obselete? And I think it takes a different one than the factory diagram since it was converted to electric start later in life.. but maybe not
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s basically the larg cap that goes over the flywheel and holds the rope in it.

For the manual start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it easy to take pieces 9-19 off current housing and move them to the new housing?

Ouch. I have never seen that one before, and I work on allot of these engines.

Try the two dealers listed on this site. It shows that they have new in stock. Or if there is a older Mercury dealer in your area, they should have a used one.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/11172.cfm?&clearcache

It should come complete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do t understand how does a starter break? It’s just an electromagnet right?

Typically it is due to either water getting inside it or the brushes just wearing out. Remember this is an old engine, and no telling how many times that starter has been used to start it or even crank it over.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea but that starter isn’t more than 3 yo

Aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Made in Tawain

I know that the Merc starter is more, but it really does last.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I bought a cheap one... gonna sell this thing and graduate to a 4 stroke soon, can’t handle this frustration

They do run much smother, but still require yearly maintenance.

Are you near AR? I know a dealer that should have a used manual starter.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea I’m in north ms

If there are no dealers near you that have this part try Whits Marine in Fort Smith.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
new starter has it working fine

Good news. Now get out there and catch some fish, just dont catch them all, I may want to go at some time.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic