Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 2002 125hp mercury outboard. It has a toggle kill…

I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 125hp mercury outboard. It has a toggle kill switch. Im wanting to replace the kill switch and ignition. Is the current kill switch a 3 wire or 2 wire. If 3 wire, can i replace with a 2 wire? If 3 wire, how do i wire it correctly?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Mercury?

Just a minute and i will get that info

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Model number 0T441135 2002 125EXLPTO

1/17/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. This is actually fairly simple There are only 2 wires involved with the kill circuit. There is a black wire, which is ground. There is a black with a yellow strip, which is the kill wire. The way the kill switch, as well as the ignition switch works is when the engine is running, the kill switch and ignition switch are both open. By open I mean the black wire and the black/yellow never touch eachother. When you turn the ignition switch off, or yank the kill switch, what happens is the switch now closes, and either switch would end up touching/combing black/yellow to black, which completes the circuit and kills the engine. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic