Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I hope this is the right platform for this question. I have…

Customer Question
Hi, I hope this...

Hi, I hope this is the right platform for this question. I have a 1989 mercruiser alpha one 1750 VBR Cobina Spirit. It has been warehoused for about 10 years. It working fine when wearhoused, and now I want to start it up. I need to know how to drain to gas tank and take any other precautions I need before starting up

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not at this time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
1/17/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. There is going to be a laundry list of things that would need to be done. Were you looking for just a general overview, or step by step detailed instructions on every thing that needs to be done?

if there are step by step instructions, i would like to know. Give me as much as you can

If that is what you require, to be honest I would end up typing for an hour. I will opt out and leave this open to the community. If somebody else has that kind of time they will answer.

I am not near the boat now. we had a freeze here in Houston and cant get to boat until tomorrow. can I get a step by step now and contact you for the call on tomorrow?
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** you still require assistance?

I still need help with this.

To pump the tank it is best to pull the fuel sender. It is the cap on the top of the tank held on with 5 screws. Use a long hose so that you can run it to the outside of the boat. You also may want to install a primer bulb in the hose. You can get one at most outdoor stores in the marine section. Once you get all the old fuel from the tank, replace the fuel sender.

You will also want to remove and clean the carb on the engine. You can get a it for it a any Mercury dealer.They may need to order the one for your specific carb.

Also needs to be done is to remove the drive and install a new water pump, replace the belts on the engine, change the engine oil, the gear oil. Check the level of the power steering fluid if your engine has it.

Make sure that the steering is not locked up, if it is, most likely it is just the cable that needs replacing.

inspect all the wiring on the engine and in the boat, sitting that long, there will be some that need to be replaced.

Once all this is done, you can see if it will crank over. If it starts, with water connected to the drive, allow it to idle for a few minutes, then check the engine oil to ensure that it is not getting milky. If it is, I would suspect a cracked block or manifold.

Let me know if you have any questions on anything.