Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have to change the hydraulic trim/tilt pump on my 50 hp

I have to change the hydraulic trim/tilt pump on my 50 hp mercury, will I have to remove the motor from the boat to do it?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The outer pump body has rusted away and I have been told that the pump won't last much longer, I have to sell the boat so I want to change the pump unit.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I know of

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can look up and see exactly what you have. Next, are you trying to replace just the electric motor portion of the trim pump, or the entire trim pump assembly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I'm Richard, just the electric/pump unit

HI Richard. I will need that serial number just to know what you have. Do you have that number available?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
S/N 1C077934

O​kay got it. On this one here it is basically going to depend on if the screws are frozen or not. The trim motor uses 4 screws with allen head tops. 2 in the front, 2 in the back. The front ones are easy to access. For the rear screws, you can get at those screws with a combination of a 1/4 inch ratchet, extension, a 1/4 inch universal, and finally a hex head/allen head socket. If the screws are not all corroded up, then you will be able to get them out. However, if they are rusted up, more than likely they are going to snap. If that happens then the engine will in fact have to come off in order to get the trim pump out, and to deal with the broken screws. Basically it can definitely be done with the trim assembly in place as long as the bolts are not frozen from corrosion. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

I just saw the tip that you left me. I just wanted to take a second and say thank you. It is very much appreciated. If it still gives you trouble feel free to reply back any time. Best, -Jason