Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Slow cranking then will crank normily be for starting. Some…

Slow cranking then will...

Slow cranking then will crank normily be for starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Some times it will just slow rank till the batery gets to low to start the motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

When runing it runs good. new key swtch new wiering harnes

1/16/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What engine are you asking about?

1970 115hr jhonson

Got it. Is there any kind of battery switch installed on the boat or does the battery connect directly to the engine?

to the engin

O​kay got that. The next thing is this, i do not know what you have for tools or knowledge, did you have any questions that you specifically wanted me to answer? Or would you prefer if I explained how we would troubleshoot a slow cranking condition if you were to bring the engine into the shop?

explaine

Intermittent slow cranking is caused by the following.

1. A bad starter

2. A bad starter solenoid

3. A bad ground cable

4. A bad positive battery cable.

The first thing to do would be to try and start the engine, and then see if either the positive or negative battery cables get hot. It is okay if they get a little warm, but they should never get hot. If they do get hot, that means that the cables have corrosion on the inside of them. When cables have corrosion in them, that corrosion takes voltage and turns it into heat. This causes a drop in voltage to the starter, and the starter does not enough voltage.

Step 2 is to measure the voltage at the starter with the key held to start and the starter engaged. It needs to be 9.5V or better. This is pass or fail and the voltage will either be 9.5V or better or it will not.

If the voltage is lower than 9.5. Check the voltage again at the input side of the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid has an input side and an output side. The output side goes between the solenoid and the starter. The input side is where the positive battery cable connects. This needs to be checked with the key held to start. If the solenoid is working correctly, the voltage on the starter should not be any less than 1/2 of a volt when compared to the input side of the solenoid. For example, if you are getting just 8V at the starter, but lets say you get 10.5 Volts at the input side of the starter. That would mean that you are loosing 2.5 volts across the solenoid. That would mean the solenoid has burnt internal contacts, causing a drop in voltage. But lets say you are getting that same 8V at the starter, but you are also getting roughly 7.5 to 8 volts at the solenoid, then the solenoid itself is working correctly. And that the problem here would be a rotten positive battery cable.

Now if you do the voltage test at the starter, and you are getting at least 9.5V or better at the starter, now you are down to either a bad ground cable or a bad starter. The easiest thing to do here is to get a basic automotive jumper cable. Jump 1 end to battery ground, and the other end to any clean spot on the engine block that is free of paint. If the engine starts cranking faster with this extra ground wire in place, then you have a bad ground cable. If it is still cranking slow, but the voltage at the starter is 9.5V or higher, then the starter itself is on its way out. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
10.00 bonus

T​hank you very much. I will let the moderators know you had trouble adding a tip. Thanks again and happy boating! - Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic