Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2008 honda 90 hp shaft. I have taken the 5 bolts out out on…

Customer Question
2008 honda 90 hp...

2008 honda 90 hp long shaft . I have taken the 5 bolts out out on the lower unit and the lower unit will not budge

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The manual indicates the shifter should be in new

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
1/16/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

When was the last time that it was removed?

it has never been removed

Do you boat in salt or fresh water?

saltwater always flushed

Thanks.

The case is going to be just stuck on due to salt build up on the dowel pins, and possible even rust on the driveshaft. What you will need to do is to gently use some small pry bars or screwdrivers to start to work the drive unit down. You can also tap where the bolt for the trim tab sits to assist loosening up the drive. It is just going to take a bit of time and maybe even some wedges to get it free.

i have taken the bolts out several times put wedges in to pull apart to no avail

How far will it drop?

none at all
I have pounded on the lower unit with a large hammer and a 2x4

Did you already remove the trim tab to see if there is a nut under there. It is not in the diagrams, but it would be worth a look.

If there is not, then the case is just really stuck on. You can also try to crank the engine slightly when you have the bolts backed off some.

there is a nut under the trim tab which i removed
it seems as if there is something still attached

Great, it is just going to come down to manual force to get the case to drop. I have had to actually cut a driveshaft on an engine to get the case off before due to its not being done for some time. That is not recommended though. Costly to replace the shaft and pull the powerhead to get the tip out of the crank. You are dealing with close to 10 yrs of salt and rust on the components on this engine. When you flush it, there is no way to get everywhere that the salt will get in to. This is why all the manufactures recommend that you remove a gear case once a year and grease everything up.

you haven't given me any advise I haven't gotten from anyone else I want my money back

There is no magic dart that I can send you to remove this gear case. It is just corroded in place and will take brute force to get it off.

I do not control the billing on the site, you can request a refund with customer service.