Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1988 four winds 160 freedom. 3.0. my first. Again,

Customer Question
Hello pearl, I have...

Hello pearl, I have a 1988 four winds 160 freedom

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

3.0. my first tom

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Again, my 88 four wimns 160 . First time out put it in reverse backed up from dock and tryed to put it in forward and it would not come out of reverse. Is there a simple reason wh

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/15/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Who makes the engine in the boat? Is it a Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, or something else?

Omc

Okay got it. If you push the shifter handle forward can you see the shift cable move at the engine?

I'm in my car on my way to work not with my boat . If you can help me with info over he phone I would be glad to call you if I need to be with b my boat I will have to wait to call you.
cable moves linkege at engin

Okay if the cable moves then step 2 is to drain the gear lube out of the sterndrive and see if you get good clean lube, or see if you get water and or metal chunks. Have you done that yet?

Before I put it in water I noticed a hose broke off going to prop area. I glued a small tube into it then reattached the hose. I haven't checked to see if the fix didn't work not knowing what the hose was for and was so pissed the boat didn't run. Does that hose have anything to do with the direction of prop?

I'm not sure what you mean unless you send me a picture of it. Can you send me a picture of this hose?

Not now laying on the ground looking up just behind prop, you can just get your hand in where it is

Okay no problem, just send me a picture when you are able to and we will go from there.

I'll get back with you tonight when I get home from work

Okay sounds good, catch you then.

Hello, I'm finally able to talk to you while in he presence of my boat. I checked the hose fix I was talking about and it's as good as the day I fixed it. Last message from you was to drain fluid. Could you tell me how to do it?
My last message was for jason

Hello, Jason here.

To drain.

Click this link for a picture. #60 is a vent screw, that must be removed first - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1988/302AMRGDP/UPPER%20GEAR%20HOUSING/parts.html

Next, click this link for a picture. #53 is the drain screw - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1988/302AMRGDP/LOWER%20GEARCASE/parts.html

What you want to do is pull both screws and see what comes out of the drive. You should get roughly 1 to 1.5 quarts of clean but used looking gear oil. If you get metal chunks, nothing, water, or some kind of water/oil mix that would all obviously indicate a problem. Let me know how you make out.

I clicked on both #s and couldn't get a picture only parts and price list

T​hey show fine for me. They are standard web sites. Are you using a PC or are you using some kind of cell phone or tablet?

Cell phone

W​ell that's probably why. On a side note, our service does not work correctly on cell phones. It is specifically designed for PC's running the Firefox or Chrome web browsers. If you are trying to use our website any other way it's not going to work correctly.

I don't have a computer

I'm not to sure what to say.

I've learned how to use the site . The first one calls part #60 oil indicater the next one #53 says oil drain screw . Where is vent screw?

T​he vent screw is #60.

Ok found both what position do I need the out drive to drain ? Up or down?

Down. You want the drive level.

No metal or water in oil
I noticed when I first got it it wouldn't turn over unless it was in nutrual. Now prop turns when I turn it over.

Good morning. Did you get at least a quart and a half out of the sterndrive? Was it low at all?

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic