Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

We're on a Bav 40, 2002 model which has a Volvo Penta MD2030…

Customer Question
We're on a Bav...

We're on a Bav 40, 2002 model which has a Volvo Penta MD2030 engine. It has about 1100 hours on it. New fuel pump & mixing elbow 3 yrs ago. Recently, we changed the primary and secondary (racor) filters. We ran her for about an hour at the dock and all was good. Took her out for about 7 hours- all good.... then the RPMs took a dive, shot back up, back down, then the engine died. We figured air was in the lines or something so we bled them several times and kept trying. She starts up just fine, then after 3-6 mins, hesitates and dies. Couldn't give it any throttle either- no more than 2k. Checked all connections for air leaks and all seemed good. Noticed one injector leaking just a tiny bit, but we didn't think enough to cause this issue. Thinking perhaps it was a clogged injector from possible tainted fuel in the filter when we changed it. Changed the secondary filter again. Still same issue. Pulled the injectors and had them tested and cleaned- one was dirty. Got new gaskets and reinstalled the injectors and slight knocking noise has now started. We are thinking perhaps a bad injector still, but aren't sure. We are in Mazatlan, MX and there are no certified mechanics here so we are kind of on our own. Any thoughts

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
1/15/2018
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

G​ood morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote What is the history on the engine, when did it last run correctly? Is there any black smoke from the exhaust? How old is the diesel fuel itself? Have you checked the engine compression or run the engine off of a different fuel supply yet?

Hi Jason
My name is***** engine was running fine for 7 hrs and the rest is noted in my first correspondence. No black smoke. Fuel is fresh within the last month. The engine compression has not been checked recently. The fuel was topped up in La Paz Mexico and ran fine for 7 hrs.

Hi Pat. Okay got it. I know what we would do in the shop, but I dont' know what you have for tools or knowledge. What kinds of questions did you have for me on the issue?

Are you here?

After the injectors were re-installed there is a knocking sound when the motor is running. This is my daughters boat I am relaying this info to you from Vancouver. She is in Mazatlan Mexico after being towed across the Sea of Cortez.

O​kay I guess I do not understand what we are doing, what kind of information are you looking for from me? how is it I can help you?

Basically I wanted an opinion on what could be making the knocking sound now that the injectors have been re-installed. It doesn't sound like you can help. I do not expect t be billed for this! Thanks anyway.