Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have an 8 horsepower Honda outboard motor that I have just…

Hi I have an 8...
Hi I have an 8 horsepower Honda outboard motor that I have just swapped over to my pontoon boat and I'm having a problem with the alarm going off when I'm putting them in the back together I got everything in life change the oil I put the lower unit oil in still giving me an alarm and I'm wondering I put a new impeller kit in also and I'm wondering if the where else could be blocked if the thing is giving me an alarm
I just pulled the thermostat out fired up the motor in the water is not coming out of the thermostat Port if that helps thank you
Like I said I replaced the impeller with an impeller kit and still no water out of the port of the thermostat
1/13/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have a year or model number on the outboard?

Sn#1600959 I'm sorry my name is***** believe it's 2005

Hi Leon. Okay got it. So just to confirm, there is no water coming out of the thermostat opening, correct?

Correct
I have just now pulled the
Lower unit back off to check and make sure that I did everything right on the water pump impeller kit
I just got your message that's fine I'd rather do it over email
I mean text message

Okay got it. If you are not getting water flow out of the thermostat opening then the impeller isn't pumping water. What kinds of questions did you have on the issue?

Are you still here?

I need an answer on why it's not pumping water if I put a brand new impeller kit in it what else do I need to look for and how do I troubleshoot it from the top down or from the bottom up of the lower unit I have the lower unit off now and I've pulled everything out and just now putting it back together later looks like I put it in fine so what would be my next check

The first thing is to hold a garden hose against the water tube that is in the middle section (the same water tube that goes into the output of the water pump) and see if the garden hose will push water up the tube and out of the thermostat opening. The engine does not need to be running for this, this is just to see if things are clogged or not. If it's clogged, then the powerhead (engine block) will need to come off to find the clog. If it isn't clogged then there is something wrong with the installation of the water pump itself.

Click this link for a diagram. - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/2005/BF8D5%20SHSA/WATER%20PUMP%20VERTICAL%20SHAFT%20(L,S%20SIZE)/parts.html

In the diagram, you will need to pay extra special attention to the following.

1. Make sure the impeller key, #24, is in place. If it's not the shaft will spin but the impeller will not.

2. The base gasket, #6, and the oring, #27, must be in place and the gaskets/oring must not be damaged in any way.

3. #10 couples the water pump outlet to the water tube in the middle section. First make sure you have it. Next, when you reinstall the lower unit, make sure the coupler is actually connecting to the water tube. When you install the lower unit into place, you can not see these parts, so it is very easy to miss and not connect the pump output to the water tube.

4. Finally, on the impeller itself. If is directional and has to go on a certain way. The way I do it is to install the impeller on the shaft, make sure it's locked with the key, and then what you want to do is turn the driveshaft clockwise with 1 hand, while you push the impeller cover #4 down with the other hand at the same time. If you do it that way the impeller will be in the correct orientation. Other than that, there is no other reason why it wouldn't be pumping water, so you have to look at all of the above. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason was very helpful and the $26 was very well spent I really do enjoy this app and I will use it many more times in the future I'm sure
Thank you Jason best regards ***** ***** thanks again
Irate Jason's service to me a 10 and would like to tip him $10 thank you again Leon

Thank you Leon, I will let the moderators know you had a hard time with the ratings system. Please feel free to reply back if it still gives you trouble. Best, -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic