Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a volvo penta v6 4.3 gas 1999. My volvo dealer just…

Customer Question
I have a volvo...

I have a volvo penta v6 4.3 gas 1999. My volvo dealer just sold me a set of aluminum anodes part #(###) ###-#### and (###) ###-####for my out drive. my question is, is that correct??? My boat is in salt water all the time. I am a marine engineer and thought the sacrificial anodes had to be a different material than the aluminum outboard and of a less noble caracter. Please respond since i have a bet on this. Thankyou. Henry Poulsen.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

I have a volvo penta v6 4,3 1999. My volvo dealer just sold me a set of Aluminum anodes Part #(###) ###-####and(###) ###-####for $ 75.00n for my outdrive. My question is, is that correct. I am a marine engineer and my boat is in saltwater all the time. My understanding was that the sacrificial anode had to be of a different material and of a lower Noble number. Please clarify this since a lot of my professional friends friends say no

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Volvo?

Ser # TD(###) ###-#### mod.# 432bpbyf is the best I can read of this 19 year old engine. It runs like a top, but I would like to settle this question with my professional friends

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is not a vehicle ???? its a volvo penta marine engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not as long he understand volvo penta is not a vehicle engine

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
1/13/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Which drive unit do you have?

volvo penta sx. info from the drive unit itself. SX-M 1.79 (###) ###-#### (###) ###-####

Thanks,

This is the kit that you should be using. It is made of zinc. The reason we use zinc is that it will corrode faster than the aluminum of the drive, thus protecting it. This is why it is critical to replace them frequently.

http://www.boatzincs.com/volvo_penta_SX_kit.html

Please read my question again.. The anodes I got is made of aluminum . The dealer told me that volvo had switched to aluminum and had better result with that. The packaging and paper work says aluminum. Weighs much less than Zinc.
I am professional engineer and understand how sacrificial anodes is supposed to work, so please give me an informed answer.
You are saying THIS is the kit I am supposed to use. What are you referring to ??? If the dealer is selling the wrong anodes you better inform him. " Fordham volvo Penta. Jax. Fl.

The switch is one for a cost reason, the second is that Volvo does not know where you boat, as Aluminum does do better in fresh water. Here is an article behind it. It discusses all 3 types.

https://citimarinestore.com/citiguide/when-to-use-zinc-anodes-over-aluminum-anodes-on-a-boat/

I do not know where to find the article you are talking about. In my first letter I explained that my boat is allways in salt water ???

Sitting in salt water the zincs are the best choice due to the fact that they wont grow a cover over then like aluminum will. Your outdrive is made of aluminum alloys, it will corrode without zincs installed.

Click on the link I sent in the last reply to get the article.

Thanks for the info, but it leaves me more confused. My boat is allways in salt water which I told the dealer who sold me the aluminum anodes. So what is the answer. Is he right or should I have him change them to zinc anodes.

He may sold you the aluminum ones as it was all that he had. In the salt world, you do want the one that will protect the drive the best, ***** ***** is zinc. If you are in a marina, you will also want to check for stray currents in the water, as this will also cause pitting to any parts that are left in the water if the zincs are trimmed out of the water.