Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2005 Mercury Verado 4 stroke 25 Hp. two years ago I…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Mercury Verado 4 stroke 25 Hp. two years ago I started having problems and replaced the defective pencil and all 6 Laser Iridium 1LFR6G 5588 plugs. replaced the new plugs in the spring before running it again, later that summer the same problem arose again, we changed the small pre filer and found another pencil defective and replaced it. This spring I replaced all 6 pencil coils and new plugs, new pre filter and the other filter requiring a special tool. and developed a problem when up and running at 5600 RPM, the boat runs great then suddenly it will loose 4 to 600 RPM &approx. a 1/4 mile it will go back to 5600 RPM. Note there has never been any other fuel additives other than Mercury # 1 #2 & #3 products. This has been done every time I refuel. I have been told there is another fuel filter that I have not changed! Where is this filter? Do I need to have the fuel checked for a small leak in the pressure or should I replace the fuel pump? Note the motor only has 531 engine hours.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

No I have never found a leak from fuel anywhere on the motor and none of the boat marinas , I had the computer printout done and have not found the answer Thanks Ron Grove

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Mercury?

The motor serial # 1B119824 year built 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have had it to 5 different marinas with no success with the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I hope this is everything ,Thanks Ron

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
1/8/2018
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Has any work been done to the FSM on your engine?

I made a mistake on the HP it is not 25HP it is a 250 HP Mercury Verado, I was on the phone with a Mercury representative and he gave me three different things to check out while it is winter, check the fuel pickup supply lines in the gas tanks, the three block that come from the two tanks, have the Marina check the fuel pressure for a possible leak or pinched fuel line.and lastly the 3rd fuel filter part #8798856Q this will be replaced before going to the Marina for yearly service thanks Ron Grove

Those are good things to look at, especially the fuel lines from the boat to the engine. The part that I would be looking at is the float inside the fuel supply module on the rear of the engine. Since you seem to be dropping RPM while on plane, this would indicate to me that the float is sticking in the up position. This is causing you to run low on fuel, then the engine stumbles, drops RPM and causes the float to drop. When it does, the boost pump will then activate and fill the FSM and the engine will come back up to RPM.

When on the Mercury CDS at the dealer, it can be seen as the fuel count gets above 180 and the boost pump does not turn on and the float still shows high. This is the indication of a sticking float. There have been several float design changes since your engine came out.