Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 471Detroit that stopped with no unusual noise I…

Customer Question
I have a 471Detroit...

I have a 471Detroit that stopped with no unusual noise I replaced the primary and engine fuel filters found some evidence of water. The engine is seized tight can't bar it over by hand either. Possibly hydro locked?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
It's been a while with no answer...please advise
Answered in 2 days by:
1/5/2018
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 6 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Hi Ted
Yes I still need help just climbed out of the Eng Rm
The stbd Eng is seizes can't be turned by hand with a bar on the main pull.
I'm preparing to remove the injectors and then try and bar it by hand. I think the exhaust elbow has a leak of salt water as there is a oil recovery that has water and it is salt water. On hold at this point
Spell check!!!
The engine seems to have injested salt water. It appears to be from the cooling exhaust elbow .
The plan is to either open the injectors and crank by hand to see if the engine is free or remove the head and hav a look.
Your thoughts?

Y​es, that is a good first step. If the engine pumps water out you need to get diesel or kerosene in the cylinders and crankcase ASAP to keep it from corroding and taking out the bearings. Once the engine has been repaired (assuming new riser) then change the oil out and run it to get it to operating temp for an hour or so (not under load). Another oil change after that and you should be back in business.

My question is: can I avoid pulling the head by removing the injectors adding fuel or oil and turning the engine over by hand to clear any water?

Y​es, absolutely. If it is hydrolocked you just need to give the water a place to escape.

In fact if you get it cranking by hand you can spin it with the starter, but stand clear, it will shoot water pretty far.

Thanks trying that this morning

G​reat, let me know if you need anything else.