Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 2001 50hp Mercury big foot four stroke making a

Customer Question
Have a 2001 50hp...

Have a 2001 50hp Mercury big foot four stroke making a rattling bearing noise under acceleration seems to be more from top end

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The noise is intermittent is it possibly the belt tensioner wheel

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
1/3/2018
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi, my name is***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you.

Because the problem is intermittent, it will make it a bit hard to Troubleshoot without listening to it, but I will definitely be able to assist you to Isolate the problem from being the Tensioner pulley. If you would like to continue, let me know. Also, do you know how many hours the engine has done and anything on the service history?

Regards,

Thanks for the reply Matt the engine has done 3500hrs gearbox overhauled 3yrs ago serviced 6mnths ago the noise has a slight rattling bearing sort of noise to it

No worries! Can you double check the hours for me? 350hour would be normal recreational use. 3500hours would be Commercial use and we would be expecting a slight rattling noise as you describe.

The reason I thought pulley as can tap with finger and it sounds similar to the pitch of noise
Hour clock was disconnected at 1100 so you probably right it would be closer to 2000hrs

Yeah, the pulley is hard to get to. The normal procedure to remove the Belt is to remove the flywheel and Stator. Are you able to loosen the Pulley Tensioner Screws and slip the belt over it and then spin it up by hand?

I am able to do that but just bit busy at the moment will give it a go and get back to you

OK! Spin-up the Pulley to check bearing noise, if possible. I will send you an extract of the normal procedure for Accessing/ Replacing the Belt and Pulley in the mean time.

Regards,

Actually from the diagram, it looks difficult to do, and you won't be able to lift it over the pulley, but maybe release enough tension to still check it. Just make sure you don't skip a tooth! May be possible that if the valve timing comes out, one of the valves can hit the head, depending on if the 50 is "free-running" or not.

Cheers!

Hi there. Just a quick follow-up to see how you went...

Please don't hesitate to ask further assistance!

Please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Regards,