Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I I have an old 1979 with a 4 cylinder 470 motor The problem…

Customer Question
I I have an...

I I have an old 1979 with a 4 cylinder 470 motor The problem is it wont trim down but works going up. So far they say it could be a solinade, do these old boats have solinades

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Could I get the engine serial number, please?

The old trim units have only one solenoid which is used for trimming up. Down is direct voltage from the trim switch.

Do you hear any sound when you try to tilt drive down?

Do you know where the trim pump is located? Do you have a volt meter to do some testing?

the boat is not at my place and no I don't know where the trim pump is located

Ok, the easiest way to find the pump is to listen for the motor when tilting the drive.

The only way to find the issue is to do some testing.

Your issue can be a number of problems. Electrical or hydraulic so we have to do some checks to find the issue.

Can you get to the boat for some testing?