Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Just rebuilt the Mercarb on my 2004 3.0 and now the engine…

Customer Question
Just rebuilt the Mercarb...

Just rebuilt the Mercarb on my 2004 3.0 and now the engine sputters after turn off

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

See above

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
12/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

ok

Have you checked ignition timing?

Remove the flame arrestor start engine shut the engine off then look into carb do you see fuel dribbling in the carb?

Could I get the engine serial number, please?

timing was set. can't see any gas drip. idle is set around 800 rpm. serial number is ***** off on arrester plate. won't keep running at idle.
did change thermostat to 140 due to saltwater use now as well.
hello?

Fast idle will cause this issue the idle spec is 700 rpms in neutral in the water.

The specified t-stat should be 160*F. Serial # OL341000 and above. Engine temp and idle speed can cause your issue.

Fresh or saltwater use will make no difference on t-stat.

What do you have the timing set at?

running on trailer with muffs. was advised thst higher thermostat allows more salt to coat in cooling system. 1 degree btdc
engine dies at 700

The boat has to be in the water to set idle. Never heard of salt an issue with t-stat. Been working on Mercruisers for over 40 years. I think someone is pulling your leg.

The engine must be in the water to adjust carb correctly. If it dies at 700 something is out of adjustment. Idle mixture screw should be set at 1.25 turns from lightly seated.

could float setting be the cause as well? did the rebuild myself, so wasn't sure of potential cause internal in carb. if thermostat is 140, what would that do to the sputter? will change back to 160

If float was out of adjustment you would have dribbling fuel in the carb. We checked for that eliminating float. Low engine temp doesn't burn fuel efficiently causing lean fuel condition.

Salt is dissolved in water no matter what the temp is. So it is in a liquid state in the engine all the time.

thanks, ***** ***** it back in the water

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you......Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician