Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have twin 1998 mercury 225 efi. 2 new ignition switches.

Customer Question
Good day,I have twin 1998...
Good day,I have twin 1998 mercury 225 efi.
2 new ignition switches.
new stop switch (purple lead not connected to anything)
Port engine wont start unless strbrd ignition switch is in on position.
likewise it will shut off if strbrd ignition is shut off.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Are you doing the wiring yourself on these switches, or did somebody install them for you?

Hi, there.
The problem has been like this for several months. Looking to fix it properly now. Had stop switch malfunction out on the water. Part time mechanic disconnected it and who knows what else. Ran fine. It happened a few weeks afterwards or most likely I only noticed it then.
I replaced the items myself recently because they were in fact worn but problem is still there. Pretty familiar with the wiring but I'm not a mechanic and just cant seem to get my head around it.

If you look in behind your console where the key switches are. You should see 2 large round black harness's. These are the harness's that run back to each engine. Coming out of each harness will be about 10 wires that are all sorts of different colors. Are you able to locate these harness's?

Sincere apologies, I should have mentioned I know the boat and motors inside out and that the wiring is done per mercury specs and properly color coded.
Sincere apologies, I should have mentioned I know the boat and motors inside out and that the wiring is done per mercury specs and properly color coded. I also have lots of testing tools. : )

okay no problem. I am not there to see everything. What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Please don't take my forwardness as being rude. No disrespect. Maybe its a lack of communication on my part, but no shit, of course there is a wiring harness that goes from each ignition to the motors. The question is still the same as mentioned. I am simply hoping that someone would have an idea or two of what it could be to save the time it would take to go through the wiring since it is a proper, color coded, standard twin engine wiring mercury set up. Wiring can be complex. Do you have any ideas?
No call necessary, thanks though. I am able to locate all the wires.
Again, do you have any ideas?
(((Port engine wont start unless strbrd ignition switch is in on position.
likewise it will shut off if strbrd ignition is shut off.)))
I will mention again, standard, twin engine set up as per mercury.

Well obviously something is miswired, but you are confident that everything is wired correctly, so no, I have no ideas. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.

Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you from here.

The reason the port will not do anything without the Stbd is that the engines are wired so that the Stbd is the master and the port is the slave. If you watch the gauges, you will see that the tachs come on when the stbd is turned on first. Under the dash there is a wire, most of the timed it is a purple, but could be a blue and a white together, that go from the stbd to the port. This is correct in the wiring. I feel that you are simply noticing it now as you have had an issue on the water.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply back to me.

Thank you charles and jason. I made an appointment with a mechanic so that i just dont go crazy. It seems like a tough one to figure out with out being there and hands on.
The engines were independent of one another. Ive had to limp home here and there on either engine.
I will most certainly use this service in the future but im going to have to skip this one.

Your very welcome. If you have any other questions on this or want to run by me what the tech says, please feel free.