Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I drove into a sand bar yesterday with my Whaler. mercury…

Customer Question
I drove into a...

I drove into a sand bar yesterday with my Whaler. mercury Verado 250s. 2009. The alarm went off I look at the depth and realized my mistake. Raised the engines an put the starboard engine into slow reversed to get back to deeper water. The Alarm was going off on the Port Engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

The Port engine continued to run. Put out water thru the cooling system but would not develop thrust. No response from the throttle. Either fwd or reverse. I eventually shut it down. Restarted it 15 minutes later. It started fine but alarm went off again and still no power. I left it in neutral. Eventually shut it down again. On third start atttempt befor coming into dock. It started but shut itself down sooon thereafter. Any help would be appreciated.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 1 month ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

H​i, it sounds like you may have blocked up the cooling system with sand. You could try a good long flush first and see if that will push the sand out, otherwise it may have to be backflushed through the various hoses. Can you see the tell tale pumping water?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The incident was yesterday.
I m on my way out there now.Yes. Some water was coming out of the engine.You say just connect the flushing hose to the engine and let it run ?My second concern is what if the lower unit or drive shaft got damaged. What should I look for there ?

Y​es, a long flush may help wash it out. Do not run the engine if the alarm continues though until you are sure it is not overheating. The protection circuit is working, but you can still burn it up. Inspect the lower for physical damage (not likely). Then take your prop by hand, spin it slowly while watching the gap between the lower and the prop. If the gap seems to change, even a little, you bent the shaft. On the plus side, if you have any major damage you can file an insurance claim on it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good to hear about the insurance. If I put it in foorward or reverse with the engine off but the key on the prop should not spin. Correct ?
But it should spin if in neutral ?

It will not normally shift into gear without the engine running. However, if you turn the key on (not running) and shift to reverse, then turn the key off, it should stay in reverse, but it will not do that in forward.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if it's in reverse. Would the prop not turn ? My thinking is if the shaft is busted prop will then turn but shouldn't

It should turn one way with a ratcheting effect and not turn the other way at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Just flushed the engine for 30-40 minutes. Cranked it up.
No warnings. Eng temp slowly climbed to 125. Still with no warnings. I got nervous and shut it down.I pulled to slip using only Starboard eng. that temp leveled at 114 degrees.

Sounds like you're on the right track. You may still have a little build up in there. Possibly flush it some more or go run it and see if it settles down. If the warning system stays off you should be okay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where would the sand end up ?
How could the thermostat be affected. ?

W​ell, it was all through the cooling system I suspect. And any place it may be blocking could lower the amount of water flow through the engine. There is also a possibility you damaged the water pump impeller but flushing real well is always a first start. I had an I/O one time that ran for almost 30 miles home after running aground and cleaning out. It sat over night and overheated the next day, had to be flushed a second time with all the hoses off just to get all the muck out. The thermostat may have some sand around it also, causing lower flow when it opens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The bostvis out of the water. I'll get back to it after the Holiday.

Okay, let me know if I can help.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast