Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

The starter keeps cranking after I remove the key. I assume…

Customer Question
The starter keeps cranking...

The starter keeps cranking after I remove the key. I assume I need a new selenoid. It is a 1977 Chris-Craft ski boat with a Chevy 305K engine. I need to know what part number to order. I think the starter part number is ***** 18-5911, but I don't think I need a new starter. However I can't seem to find a part number for the selenoid.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
12/29/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have any kind of model information on the engine? Is it a Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, Something else?

The engine is a Chevy 305K 8 cylinder
I am out of town and can text but not talk where I am right now.

Chevy does not make marine engines. What happens is companies like Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo and others buy engine blocks from GM, and then in turn they put their own wiring on to the engines. Do you have any model or serial numbers off of the engine block?

I am out of town and do not have access to the boat or owner's manual at this time. I was hoping that you folks would have that information.

How would I know which engine is in your boat?

In my initial text I gave the information that I have. It is a 1977 Chris Craft Ski boat with an 8 cylinder 305k engine. It is the original engine. The Starter that fits is a Sierra 18-5911. All I need to know is the selenoid that fits that part.

Are you looking for a starter solenoid or a slave solenoid, they are 2 different things.

I don't know the difference. The starter keeps running when I try to start the boat and I have to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. I was told to try replacing the selenoid before buying a new starter. That is what I am trying to do at this point, but it may simply be too complicated.

W​ithout you being in front of the boat to test things and especially without you knowing exactly which engine you have this simply isn't going to work. If you want to get back with me on a later date when you are ready then that is fine. If not, you can cancel and put in for a refund.

OK. I'll get back to you when I return home and have access to the boat next week. Thanks.

Okay sounds good. Just so you know i'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but these parts are very specific, and I don't want to tell you to buy a certain part number only to have it not be correct for your engine. Catch you later. -Jason