Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am starting to research new remanufactured engines to

Customer Question
Hi Jason,I am starting to...
Hi Jason,I am starting to research new remanufactured engines to replace my current fresh water cooled Mercruiser 6.2 MX Bravo 3 320 HP  (serial # OM322145). I am looking at 383 Strokers such as this one http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercruiser-stroker-with-freshwater-cooling-p-10520.html sold by Michigan Motorz. I am interested in your opinion on the specs/features listed (pasted below) to see if anything jumps out at you as being particularly good or bad.One engine option I am looking at that is much less expensive is raw water cooled instead of fresh water cooled. Fresh water cooled kits can be added for $2500. Is that worth the expense in your opinion?Also, connecting to current gauges without issue would be good. I see that this engine comes with a 10 pin wire harness. Based on my serial #, can you tell if that is what I would need?Lastly, it would like to be able to connect the engines to a new GPS plotter I am buying that uses the NEMA 2000 protocols. Do you have an opinion on this?Michigan Motorz Specs:
This genuine MerCruiser, (6.3L) 383 ci package is the ideal replacement engine for 350 MAG, 7.4L carb/MPI - Rated at 350hp @ crankshaft; torque specs: 390 lb/ft @4,200 rpm, it is compatible with all Bravo outdrives; it will not work with Alpha One outdrives. Fresh water cooling is included!Comes with a 3-YEAR MerCruiser factory warranty!STANDARD EQUIPMENT INCLUDED IN THIS
383-MAG Stroker engine:MerCruiser dry-joint exhaust manifolds & risers
Fresh water cooling (installed)
Serpentine belt-driven raw water pump
Fuel lines (U.S.C.G. approved)
New and improved stainless steel valves
High & low pressure electric fuel pumps (U.S.C.G. approved)
Oil pressure switch, oil sending unit and all required sensors
Thunderbolt V Ignition System, spark plugs and wires
14" sterndrive flywheel, MerCruiser BRAVO coupler, and bell housing
Throttle bracket and throttle clip
70-amp alternator, bracket and tensioner (U.S.C.G. approved)
High torque bottom mount starter (U.S.C.G. approved)
MerCruiser engine wire harness (10-pin plug)
Thermostat housing with thermostat
Dipstick & dipstick tube
Corrosion resistant black urethane paint
All pulleys, hoses, belts, installed
Motor mounts
CNC Cast Aluminum Valve Covers
Billet Steel Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
High-Flow & High-Volume Oil Pump
Remanufactured engine block
Fuel Injection with Cool Fuel System
4340 Forged Steel Crankshaft
1.6:1 Roller Rocker Arms
Marine Roller Camshaft
High Flow Flame Arrestor
GEN+ Iron Heads
Hypereutectic Aluminum Pistons
160º F Thermostat
(All Parts Listed are Brand New)SPECIFICATIONS:Horsepower: 350hp @ crankshaft
Torque: 390 lb/ft @ 4,200 rpm
WOT Operating Range: 4800-5200 rpm
Engine Configuration: GM Small Block V-8
Displacement: 383 ci / 6.3L
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Idle Speed: 600 rpmThis engine comes with a 3-YEAR MerCruiser factory warranty!
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/28/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 4 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, Jason does not seem to be available, would you like me to work with you on this? If you would can you tell me where you boat? Fresh or Salt water?

In the Chesapeake bay (annapolis md) so the water is brackish. Thks

LOL, right down the street. Anyway, the 383 is an awesome engine. It is actually a real good replacement for an older 454 in many boats. I would definitely opt for fresh water cooling here on the Bay. It will extend the life of the engine considerably and make your life a whole lot easier. And it allows alloy parts like intake manifolds without having to flush each time. The harness will work fine and your gauges should be fine. But you will not be able to use the NMEA 2000 network stuff because the engine has an older ECU not capable of reporting that data. Otherwise that is a great choice.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast