Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Stripped threads in thermostat housing for blue drain plugs…

Customer Question
Stripped threads in thermostat...

Stripped threads in thermostat housing for blue drain plugs on Mercruiser

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I can't get the drain plug to screw back in the thermostat housing

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Mercruiser engines are cataloged by serial number, do you have that number available so I can look up and see exactly which engine you have?

A617885

Okay got it. Now what kinds of questions did you have for me on the issue?

How to fix stripped thermostat housing for blue drain plug

Y​our serial number does not show as this engines using the blue plugs. The engine comes up as being made between 1982 to 1989, which would pre-date those plugs. What year is the boat itself?

2011- a617885

Still coming up as an old 4 cylinder engine. Click this link for a picture, you can see where I punched in your serial number, and this is what's coming up - https://imgur.com/a/VodUf

What size is this engine? 4, 6 or 8 cylinder? Do you have any pictures of what is broken?

O​r can you take a picture of where you are getting this serial number from, as it's not right.

It is the 350 mag mPI
I think so. I think the threads are stripped in the housing

D​id the blue plug snap off in the housing? Or did you try to stick a brass plug in the hole that the blue plug belongs in? The reason I ask is the plug is plastic, the housing is iron, you can't hurt an iron housing (or iron threads) with a piece of plastic. Do you happen to have any pictures of the thermostat housing so I can see it?

I removed the blue plug, it was difficult to remove and tried to put back after draining the block.

There are no time limits here, can you get me some pictures so I can see exactly what the problem is?

Also- I can only two bottom plugs on one engine and 1 in the other. Does this make sense?

No I don't understand what you mean. This simply isn't going to work unless you can get me some pictures. Can you get me pictures?

I am not at the Boat....I can only find 1 drain plug at the bottom of one engine while I find two on the other engine.

There are no time limits, can you get back to me later?

It won’t be for a while. I don’t think this will work.

al​right, good luck.

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic