Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have two 2007 Verado 225HP's with DTS on my boat. I have…

Customer Question
Hi. I have two 2007 Verado...
Hi.
I have two 2007 Verado 225HP's with DTS on my boat. I have two battery banks: 1 with 1 battery and the other with two. I recently bought the bought but I am told the batteries were new.
1) I have been getting the following error message on my Smartview intermittently (often I don't get it at all): "Shift controller is not working properly" on Engine 2.
2) I have once received this message after a 70nm journey: "ENG1 and ENG2 - Critical - Engine Voltage Low" (Engine Actuator Voltage is Low). My Simrad chartplotter also gave a low battery warning. I have had no issues after the warning came on once.Are the above errors likely to be linked?
What should I check to diagnose any issues?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Boat
12/28/2017
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to Just Answer ! I will be assisting you.

Yeah, I would definitely suggest to begin with the Batteries - Configuration, Battery Management, Battery Load Tests (with negative cables detached), check all leads, connections. I will post a link here for you to see some ideas on battery configurations/management. I think you really need a battery for each engine and a House Battery. That will be three banks. The management system will be a Switch for each engine, a Switch to Emergency Parallel the two, a Switch for the House Battery and a VSR to allow Engine Charge Current to run over to the House Battery once the Engine Crank Batteries reach 12.8 V. This keeps the House supply Isolated from Engine Control.http://www.delzer.com/powerproducts/BEP_CAT_003/#24

As far as the Engine Codes go, the only way we can diagnose what has been happening and see if the codes are directly related and occurred around the same Engine Operating Hours or what was the Lead Cause, is to get a Download File. You can probably get someone out to do a Download for you, save it as a PDF and send it to me as an attachment. If you don't want them to diagnose it for you because you want to save some money, just tell them you want a download because someone is buying the boat... Something like that.

Just remember to Load Test the batteries and you can also monitor battery voltages on Smartview to make sure each engines Charging System is operating correctly.

Regards,

Also, Engine Batteries, as a guide, should be a minimum of 1000cca or close to that if really good quality batteries.

Thanks,

Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello,my name is***** will assist you from here.

You only need the two banks of batteries. One for each engine, but one engine with an ACR, which will automatically switch charging power from a crnking battery to the house battery. You wont need all those switches unless you needed to isolate them when you park the boat.

What kind of questions did you have on the set up of the batteries for your Verados?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Charles. I have no questions regarding the setup of the batteries. The boat is a Boston Whaler 285 conquest with the stock standard battery setup (ie 1 + 2 with both banks separately switchable and the ability to parallel. It also has shore power if needed). My questions relate to the Verado error messages which I have received, whether they are the same underlying problem or not and how to diagnose the issue/s. I am not going to be changing batter switching arrangements from the standard Boston Whaler setup. I have done more than 80 hours since I bought the boat without any problems and these issues have only recently arisen. I do have the Verado error codes if it helps. Set out below is the actual question:Hi.
I have two 2007 Verado 225HP's with DTS on my boat. I have two battery banks: 1 with 1 battery and the other with two. I recently bought the boat but I am told the batteries were new.
1) I have been getting the following error message on my Smartview intermittently (often I don'tget it at all): "Shift controller is not working properly" on Engine 2.

When you do, or did get the two messages, were they at the same time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have only received the low voltage error once. It has not precisely at the same time as the other error but it was during the same trip. The other error has happened many times although I have not noticed anything out of sorts from an operational point of view.

The shift control error is for only the DTS controller on the helm. There was an issue with some of the older controllers. There is a potientometer on them that can go bad over time and would require the controller to be replaced.

The voltage issue could have been from idleing for a while if you were doing that with all the boats pumps and locaters running.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic