Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a constant alarm going off so stuck in crawl mode.

Customer Question
I have a constant...

I have a constant alarm going off so stuck in crawl mode. oil press and temp look fine. eng oil level is ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Just got the boat, it had a bottom end rebuild 6b months ago. first 2 days out no issues. yesterday, was fine for about 20 min transit up the river. stopped for a swim. went to take the kids for a tube run and started ok, idle ok, went to put some power on and the alarm sounded and no power. tried several time and got to the point where even in idle alarm is sounding constantly. got a tow back to base. unable to find manuals on line

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

There was a couple times just prior to this where it seemed to struggle to engage neutral, so a bit of grinding noise and had to jiggle around the power lever to stop it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/20/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is the make, model and year of your engine?

2003 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI

Thanks, ***** ***** alarm you getting the solid tone or the beeping one?

solid tone. even when just idling. have checked the temp sensor. about 2k ohms. seems within limits
oil pressure and temp indications look normal

How was the battery voltage when the alarm went off?

The complete list of sensors that can cause this alarm are battery voltage, ECU overheat, ECU memory, and CAN faults.

battery fine, it happens immediately on cold engine start so maybe not ECU overheat? do i need software for ECU memory? what are CAN faults? can i check or does it need to go into the shop. cant get in anywhere this close to xmas!

While the battery may be fine, if the Alt is not charging it enough, it can run into a low voltage issue when running. Testing the voltage at the battery with the engine off and then running and looking for a voltage difference is the only way to tell.

The ECU memory would mean that the ECU is failing, it is rare, but can happen.

CAN faults are the system for SmartCraft and the digital throttle and shift.

Do you have access to a portable scanner?

i can check alt now. would a 2004 bayliner 185 have digital throttle ? i may have scanner access tomorrow

You would know it if had DTS, as there would not be any control cables from the shifter to the engine. DTS is fly by wire.

Let me now what you get on the voltage.

Hi. Thanks for the follow up. I managed to get her around to Nowra Powerboats where they plugged in and found the oil pressure was fluctuating between 12-58 psi. I believe the bottom threshold is around 30? Hoping it’s just the sensor, which I pick up in the morning.

Moving that much, it should be the sensor. If it is not that, it would either be a bad oil pump or a pressure relief in the oil system. Either oif those would require an engine pull.