Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1996 Suzuki DT140. engine fires up perfectly. When…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 1996 Suzuki DT140. engine fires up perfectly. When I bought it, owner had just performed routine maintenance. Oil level is correct. No fuel leaks. My issue is when I start it; it’ll will shut off 15 seconds after. As if someone turned the key off. It can be cranked right back on without delay. First turn key. But count 15 seconds and it will cut off again. (No jogging; like i said. As if someone cut the key off)

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No that’s it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Boat
No bogging **
12/18/2017
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to Just Answer ! I will be assisting you.

Is the idle speed adjustment knob you’re talking about not n the power pack case? Mine does not have that
It has a plug in the oil rest hole and where the idle switch would go it is closed there was never a switch there

Ok, Thanks! I will check to see if I have information on the correct model and get back to you if I can get hold of anything.

Regards,

Ok thanks

Hi there, were you able to check the Throttle Valve Switch by following the test procedure I provided?

No wasn’t sure that pertained to my engine since the other one did not.

Yes, I understand. I thought the same thing. The only manual I have managed to access is the DT115-DT140.

If you are able to do the check on that TVS we can eliminate it OR wiring, connections or CDI unit.

Regards,

okay. I already had eliminated all wiring to the ignition and kill switch to eliminate possibility of one of those being a failure. I started engine manually and same issues.

Ok, great! The symptom that you are experiencing points to the Throttle Valve Switch. I have provided this test in an attachment. Please let me know if you require further assistance in the test procedure or locating the TVS as the pic in the attachment may be not the best.

Regards,

Will do

Thanks!

Where is the TVS

It's attached to the bottom carburettor throttle shaft (port side), 3 wires. Black, Green, Brown.

Got it. Will check when I get home

Ok, cool.

Ok. My sensor is a 2 wire
Light green / red and black / red
Not sure if this matters. My buzzer never sounds. I replaced it because it was bad. I tested the new one and it’s working manually. But when turning the key to acc or to crank. It never sounds.

Hi, sorry for the late reply! I've suddenly got really busy...

Are you able to follow the tables in the previous attachment I sent you, use an Ohmmeter, and substitute your Red wire for Brown Yellow int the table and do the test?

If in any doubt or you are not able to get results... I would just change it.

Ok will do
I checked it. Both wires and there is continuity
I’m just going to take it a local mechanic. Thanks for the help
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago

Ok! Best of luck with it and hope you can find the problem soon!

All the best!

Thanks

I just uploaded the Service Manual to my Dropbox, so you can download it via the link I provided, just to help you get some value for the service and sorry we couldn't help you further!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrqe0i34ckrpsm8/Suzuki%20Outboard%20DT115_140%20v2000.pdf?dl=0

Matthew John
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic