Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

When i go into the forward position on my merc control

Customer Question
When i go into...

When i go into the forward position on my merc control leaver into the forward position my enginie is in reverse and when i go to the reverse position i have very slow forward motion.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

This engine is an outboard engine 45hp.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercury?

1972

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing as yet just need information on what i can do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just are the cables the problem or lower leg

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
12/15/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hello, sorry for the delay. I am almost certain that your issue is in the lower unit of the outboard. But the way you can verify that for sure is to disconnect the shift cable from the engine lever and then shift the lever by hand. If the motor still acts the same way you will need to have the lower unit repaired.