Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Intermittent alarm. no trend. temp good, oil pressure good,

Customer Question
Intermittent alarm. no...

Intermittent alarm. no trend. temp good, oil pressure good, lanyard good. running along and it just beeps and engine jerks then picks right back up and runs. feels like electrical miss.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Only does it during running in lake.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What engine are you asking about specifically?

60HP ELPT EFI 2005
Do you want to call me?

Is this a Mercury or something else?

Mercruy outboard.

There isn't anything that can be done to the engine without using a scan tool and seeing what is causing the beep. Did you have any questions that I could help you with?

There are no codes. The engine runs along fine then it just jerks like it is losing ignition. My guys said they saw a TPS code once. However, they cleared it and it never came back.
We are a service shop and this one is kicking my techs in the teeth.
Will you be able to help?

When you say there are no codes, what scan tool are you using on the engine?

laptop: using Diacom program.

I have diacom as well. Is there any chance you can take a recording with the alarm going off and send it to me so I can review it?

Next, and this is the million dollar question. What is happening first?

1. Is the engine dropping power first, and then beeping 2nd?

Or

2. is the engine beeping first, and then dropping power 2nd?

The reason I ask is because if it beeps first and then drops power, that is an EFI issue. If it drops power first, and then beeps, the reason it's beeping is because of the sudden drop in oil pressure that happens when the engine misfires. (And you would be getting codes for low oil pressure). Can you say for certain which one it is doing?

It happens simultaneously and hard to say which is first because it happens in an instant. They did say that when it stayed in reduction mode for approx 30 sec is when it threw a TPS code. Maybe it is the TPS failing?

It's possible. Did you test the TPS with Diacom hooked up to see if it was functioning properly? Did you give the wiring harness between the TPS and ECM a wiggle test?

we tested it while hooked to Diacom, it was functioning properly throughout throttle range. We wiggled every wiring harness and harness plug on the engine and boat, After seeing TPS code we paid extra attention to wire harness between TPS and ECM. We cleared TPS code and it came back but not when the quick drop out happened, only when engine went to full limp mode for @ 30 sec

T​ake a live recording with your Diacom when the alarm is going off and the engine is in limp mode and then send me a copy of it, i'll take a look and see if anything stands out.

Ok, it will have to be tomorrow. It only went to full limp mode 2 times after many laps around the lake, but I'll give it a try tomorrow and get back with you. Thank you for your help.

N​o problem, there are no time limits here. Just send me a recording once you have been able to duplicate the problem, and when the alarm is sounding, and we will take it from there.

HEY JASON I'M BACK. I TRIED TO GET YOU A RUN FILE ON THIS MOTOR BUT I LOSE COMMUNICATION WITH THE ECM AS SOON AS IT ALARMS AND GOES INTO LIMP MODE. DOES THIS POSSIBLY INDICATE AN ECM ISSUE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.

It's really impossible to say. I don't want you buying a new ECM on my recommendation and have it end up not being the problem.

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic