Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a OMC Cobra Cone Clutch drive that I have started…

I have a OMC...

I have a OMC King Cobra Cone Clutch drive that I have started having forward thrust issues with. When I first start the boat for the day, I have full forward thrust. After running in forward for a little bit, if I come to neutral then go back to forward it barely turns the prop. I have NO issues with reverse just forward thrust.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I have replaced the engine coupler and checked the shift linkages for proper spacing.

12/12/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. How is the gear lube in the sterndrive? Which gear lube is in it (Both viscosity and rating). To the best of your knowledge has there ever been water in the sterndrive or the sterndrive been run low on oil?

Kevin, Gear lube is changed at start of every season, always clean, no water. Always use Quicksilver SAE 90, never been low on oil.It started "Slipping" a couple of years ago on hard acceleration (like the prop would lose bite) but if I went to neutral then back into gear it would be fine.

Hi Kevin. Okay got it. The clutches in these units do not last forever, and they do wear out just like a car clutch would. What kinds of questions did you have on the issue?

Was just wanting your expert opinion obviously w/o being able to tear into it what you think would be the problem. I replaced the engine coupler last year hoping that was it but that didn't fix it, So I now believe its the clutch/drive itself. Do I need to replace the whole drive or would a rebuilt upper unit most likely do the trick?
In your opinion would a reman drive be more cost effective than having someone rebuild the existing one?

As far as reman vs rebuild, that depends. There are a lot of special tools and jigs needed to properly rebuild one of these drives. No dealers really work on these drives any more unless you just happen to have that 1 dealer near you that does. All you can do is call around and ask. What you don't want to do is send the drive to somebody that does not have all of the proper tools to do it. If the person does not have the proper tools to set the gears correctly then the drive is going to fail in short order. In most cases remanufactures will sell you a remaned upper and they will take your existing one back as a core. As for the drive itself, all you have to do is change the upper. The clutch is in the upper. Click this link for a diagram - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/SternDrive/1998/82FCPBYC/UPPER%20GEAR%20HOUSING/parts.html

In the diagram #37 is your clutch. That rides on shaft #38. The gears are both labeled 16. Finally locate #60, which is called a shift shoe. The clutch works mainly on centrifugal force. When you shift it, the shift shoe gives the clutch a little nudge either up or down. The clutch is double sided, there is a forward side and a reverse side. The forward gear is the upper gear, the reverse gear is the lower gear. Also attached to those gears is a receiving cup, and each gear has one. (the cup is part of the gear). When you shift into either gear, the shift shoe gives the clutch just a little nudge. After that, centrifugal force pushes or pulls the clutch into whichever gear you are selecting. When the clutches burn out, and when the receiving cups burn out, the clutch will first start intermittently slipping before it stops engaging all together. When these units are rebuilt, the clutch and gears do get replaced as a matched set and that needs to happen because the receiving cups are part of the gears. If they are not done as a matched set then the "new" clutch will either still slip, or it simply won't work at all. Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thanks and have a great holiday season.
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic