Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Lower unit went out on a 2011 Etec 225 mechanic said

evinrude recommends different lower unit...
lower unit went out on a 2011 Etec 225 mechanic said evinrude recommends different lower unit than what the factory had on it - what do you know on this issue
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: lower driveshaft sheared off - mechanic recommends complete lower unit
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
12/12/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have a model number for your outboard, as well as a part number for the lower unit that this mechanic is looking to use?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jerry - Evinrude E Tec 2011I don't have the part number - I was interested in finding out what he was trying to explain to me regarding the factory lower unit. He said evinrude recommended a different model than the one that was on from the factory when I purchased new - also to replace he estimated the cost around $6,000 - is this accurate.
he said the lower driveshaft sheared off and recommended a new one - I think I hit something in the water because there was a loud noise - marks on lower unit - and speed ometer jammed with wood.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
at this time not interested in phone call - I'm inflight on a plane

Hi Jerry. Here is what I can tell you so far. There are 2 lower units that can be used on this outboard. There is what they call a lightning lower unit, and there is what they call a Magnum lower unit. (The Magnum is also known as an M2 lower unit). Either lower unit can be used on the outboard, but there are differences between them. The lightning lower unit is narrower, has smaller diameter gears, and is built for speed, but it is not necessarily the most robust lower unit out there in terms of durability. The Magnum lower unit is a larger lower unit. It has larger diameter gears and is structurally stronger than Lightning lower unit. There is a tradeoff between the two lower units. Each boat hull is unique so not direct comparisons can be made, but on average, any boat with this outboard and the Lightning lower unit will have a top end speed of 3 to 4 miles per hour faster over the same boat equipped with the Magnum/M2 lower unit. The Magnum lower is wider, which causes more drag, which causes less overall speed. If you constantly run the boat at full speed, switching from a lightning to a magnum might bother you. If you almost never run the boat at full speed, then it really won't matter to you. The questions you need to ask your mechanic is which lower unit you have, lightning more magnum/m2, and which one he is steering your towards. My guess is that you probably have/had the lightning lower unit and he is pushing you towards the Magnum lower unit because it's not only a stronger unit, but there is simply more profit for him by selling you a magnum over the lightning. Either way, you can use either lower unit with that outboard. You just have to decide if you want speed over durability or if you want durability over speed. If you seldom run the boat at full speed, then it's more or less an easy choice, go with the magnum lower unit. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thanks and have a great holiday season.
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is the $6,000 fair for this type of repair. - I believe it will be covered by insurance.

Yes it is fair. The Lightning lower unit has a retail of 5280. The Magnum is 5700ish give or take. There isn't much labor involved, if it's a straight swap it's just an hours labor or less as long as there isn't any corrosion or broken bolts to deal with.

I​t looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic