Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

MercForce 120 Friend tore up the ignition wiring at key.

MercForce 120 Friend tore up the...
MercForce 120
Friend tore up the ignition wiring at key. Tried to rewire unsuccessfully even though my original wiring for the 6 prong ignition switch worked fine.
Battery good, motor good.
K need to get boat out of water for winter dry dock in ny.
Can I start the motor another way for now?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/11/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What color wires do you have at the key switch?

Okay I see it. The key switch is missing all of the screws on it, and the end of those wires should have crimp on fork type terminals. If you want to start it, as in hotwire it. First just disconnect all the wires on the key switch. Then take the red, purple, and the yellow with a red stripe wires. Red is power. Purple is switched ignition power (the key switch powers that wire up when the key is turned to the run position. Yellow with a red stripe is the start wire (the key switch powers that wire up when the key is held to start). To hotwire this, disconnect those 3 wires from the key switch. Twist together Red and purple. Then, take the yellow/red wire and tap it to the red wire. This will crank the engine over and ultimately start it. Once it's up and running you won't have a way to shut it off. To shut it off you will have to pinch the fuel line off and let it run itself out of fuel. Then, once it stalls/shuts off, disconnect the red and purple wires. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thanks and have a great holiday season.
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Went back to boat
Did as instructed hot wire no power tried twice and a third time no contact power at all.
Checked battery connections and strength all ok
Retired ignition switch and no power no tilt for engine nothing
Is there another way to start this motor?

Well, you can hotwire it at the key switch side or hotwire at the motor side. It's generally easier to do it at the key switch side. Do you have a hand held volt meter to check for power at the key switch?