Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a2003 90hp 2 stroke and it won’t start. I have tried…

Hi I have a2003...

Hi I have a2003 90hp 2 stroke Johnson and it won’t start. I have tried disconnecting yellow black wire for kill switch and still nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have checked for spark and there’s no spark on any of the plugs. And then you can go tomorrow and the motor will start first time and run good and if you rev it bit to high it will shut off and won’t start again

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I have tried fitting a new power pack and it is still the same. I’m out of ideas now. I am a diesel mechanic so got a bit of knowledge but not sure on this problem now

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can I start by getting the model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

Hi Jason this is Des here

HI Des. Can I get the model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

It’s j90plsrr on the tag plate

Okay got it. I guess the next thing is did you have any questions that you specifically wanted me to answer, or did you want me to just explain how to troubleshoot the ignition system?

Can you send me the trouble shooting guide for the ignition system would be great

I sure can. Give me a couple of minutes to make a copy and I will upload it for you.

Thanks

Okay i'm uploading it for you now. It's 4 pages long. I don't know how much you do or do not know about this engine or outboard ignition systems in general. Give the file a read, and if you have any questions on any part of it just let me know and I will be happy to explain any of the steps for you. The file is going to show up as an attachment at the very bottom of this response. It will be a link that you can click on, and it will open up an new window so you can see/save/print it out at some. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you and have a great holiday season!
Jason

I Rate Jason response a 10 out of 10. Thanks very much

You are very welcome. I was glad I could be of help.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thanks Jason I was able to print it out and I will have a go at it. Thanks for the help

You are very welcome.

Hi Jason sorry for the delay. I have bought a new battery 720 cranking amps. I still am only gey8.4volts on yellow and red wire coming off the starter solenoid so I am going to trace the fault with this first. Thanks I will let you know when I find it
Hi Jason at last I found my fault. The battery isolator was dropping my current down, as soon as I by passed it I can now get it start first time. Thanks very much for the info it was a great help and I will keep it safe for future. Can I ask your personal opinion on these motors. I have only just got it and only used it twice last year but after this bit of trouble I have some doubts about it now.

The motors are good motors. The only real downside to them is they do need a good battery in order to start. If there is anything that causes a drop in voltage, be it a weak battery, corroded battery cables, a bad battery switch or the isolator as you found, what happens is even though the stator motor spins, the ignition systems electronic eye simply does not turn on unless it has a minimum amount of voltage. If the eye isn't turning on, then there will be no spark output. Other than that they are mechanically sound engines.