Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1981 Mercury Black Max - v6 Carb 200 HP. I have…

Customer Question
I have a 1981...

I have a 1981 Mercury Black Max - v6 Carb 200 HP. I have fuel that spits out of the hose that is connected to the bottle of the airbox. I am trying to figure out wh

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

How to correct this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The engine starts right up and runs well.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
12/8/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

G​ood morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury engines are cataloged by serial number. Can I get that number so I can look up and see exactly what version of the 200 you have.

Hi Jason,My name is***** model number is(###) ###-#### I think that maybe the bleed line might not be routed correctly but I am not too sure. I have not been able to find the diagram for my engine. I have a video of what it is doing that I am going to try to upload now. Please let me.know if you receive it. Thanks for your help!

H​I Matt. What you can do on the video is upload that to YouTube, and then simply copy the link and paste it over to here. Give me a few while I try and look up this serial number.

Ok, I'm going to do that now. Thanks

I tried running the serial number and it's not coming up as valid. Did that number come off of a sticker on the outboards clamp bracket or did it come from someplace else?

it came off of the plate on the back of the motor.
https://youtu.be/N3cjqdO9SSk

O​kay I see the video. That is part of the engines bleed/recirculation system. It is not a problem, that fuel will actually get sucked back into the carbs and get re-burned. Do you have the cover for the carburetors? This is a cover that goes over all the carbs.

I have a cover. But it leaks out from the bottom (slowly) when the cover is on. I tried sealing it with a sealant that can withstand fuel and it eventually starts leaking again.

When the cover is in place, there would be vacuum building up inside of that cover. (The carbs are "sucking" aire in, so it would suck that little bit of fuel in with it to) This vacuum sucks that leakage out and draws it back into the engine to be re-burned. Does this engine have good compression?

it has between 120 and 118 on all cylinders.

Are you near the motor now to hold your hand over each carb and see if you can feel strong suction from each carb or see if you feel any pressure or spitting back at you from any carb?

Not this second but I can try in a little while. I will give it a shot and will let you know. Thanks.

Okay let me know what happens. Also send me a picture or two of the cover so I can see if it's damaged or not.

Will do! Thanks!

Y​ou are very welcome.

Hello, just checking in. How did you make out?

HI Jason,I finally was able to put my hand over the carbs and there seems to be decent suction. There is no spitting back from any of them. It still drips though.

G​ot it. The next thing you want to check is the fuel pump. You would want to pull that apart next and see if there is a torn diaphragm in it.

Good Morning! I did that and everything is in good condition. The fuel pump was rebuilt about 3 or 4 months ago.

Have the carbs been rebuilt yet as well? A flooding carb would also cause excess fuel in the crankcase.