Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Researching suzuki df250 engines, looking at a 2006 boat…

Customer Question
Researching suzuki df250 engines...

Researching suzuki df250 engines, looking at a 2006 boat with twin df250's

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Any tips to spot issues on df250 suzuki OB's, 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Engines have 440 hours

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. The DF250 doesn't have any history of defects or known issues. Are you planning on having a technician/mechanic look at this engine for you?

Are you planning on having a technician/mechanic look at this engine for you? Yes
I'm asking in gender are there any area's to watch out for? with Suzuki DF250 4 stroke outboards, year 2006

Sorry for the delay, I just received your response now. In general no, these are good engines. They have no documented history of problems or defects. At the same time, it is an 11 year old motor and you never know how a previous owner treated it. If this is a freshwater used engine then there isn't any rot concern. But if this is a saltwater used engine block rot is always a concern. The engines do not last forever in a saltwater environment. In regards ***** ***** on a saltwater engine, that doesn't mean much either because you never know if the boat was always trailered in and out, or if the boat simply sat in saltwater all the time. You also never know if the previous owner was rigorous with flushing and or using salt neutralizing agents from time to time. If you brought the engine to me what I would check is the following.

1. Check engine compression. The higher the number the better. When new the engine would have read in the 200 PSI ballpark. As the engine wears and tears that number will go down, 120 psi would be about the lower limit in terms of serviceability. Anything below that number and there are no guarantees if the engine is a runner.

2. Pull the thermostats and zincs out, and have a look at the inside of the engine block. The reality is nobody has x ray vision and nobody can see inside of the block and see how corroded it is in there. And realistically pulling heads isn't feasible for an inspection. But pulling the thermostats and zincs and peeking in there will give you an idea of how well it's been treated. If it looks clean that is a good sign. If you can see rot or it's packed with sand/salt in there then that is a bad sign.

3. Check gear lube and trim fluid for signs of water intrusion. Check trim system for leaks around the trim cylinders.

4. Check engine oil for water

5. Remove the prop, check the prop shaft seals, they can leak without having water in the lower unit. Start and run the engine. Make sure it shifts right on land. Use a stethoscope and listen to both the engine block and lower unit to see if there are any bad bearings or abnormal noises going on.

6. Give the engine a general looking over, see if it's been molested or tinkered with.

7. Hook up SDS, which is Suzuki Diagnostic Systems. SDS will tell you not just the hours, but how many hours at each RPM the engine was at. For example, If the engine has 400+ and 100 of those were at idle, 200 of those were at mid range, and 100 of those were at full throttle that would mean 1 thing. If the engine has 400+ hours and 75%/300 of those hours were all at full throttle, that would mean another thing. The other thing SDS will tell you is how many instances of low oil pressure and engine overheat there have been. This is especially valuable, as there is no way to erase this information from the engine computer. If the had just 1 or 2 instances of low oil pressure, or 1 or 2 instances of overheat, I would not worry. But if there were 10 or 20 or more of either low oil pressure or overheat happening, that would be another cause for concern.

8. That is everything that gets done on land. After that the boat would go into the water and the boat and engines gets water tested. Here we are looking for a few things. First is making sure the engines make full power, at leas 5000 rpms with the boat at full speed. Looking to make sure the trim operates at full power. Often times the trim will lift and lower the outboard just fine. But when at full speed and trying to trim up, the trim system simply leaks down and it will not trim, which is a costly repair. Making sure the batteries charge. Making sure everything else on the boat is working. Making sure there are no leaks. Making sure there are no engine misfires or alarms happening. In the end what you are ultimately trying to do is complete a puzzle 1 piece at a time making sure there are no major or minor problems with the engine. Does that all make sense to you. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and have a great holiday season.

Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic