Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I Have a 2000 bayliner capri 1850 I have a alarm going off…

Customer Question
I Have a 2000...

I Have a 2000 bayliner capri 1850 I have a alarm going off under dash I think maybe depth sounder checked all fluids they are good I did install new battery just before this started I can not figure out how to reset depth sounder any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

The dash area got wet during the last big storm

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
12/4/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have a brand and model number on this depth sounder? Have you tried simply unplugging the depth sounder yet?

my name is ***** ***** depth sounder was factory installed I don't know brand I have disconnected one cable looks like antenna wire and tried to remove fuses one at a time did not work must be wired direct very annoying

Hi Jim. The boat is 17 years old. Bayliner doesn't have any kind of parts listing that would tell me what's in the boat, so there is no way for me to look it up and see what you have. Even if they did have a parts listing, the boat is still 17 years old and marine electronics seldom last that long, so chances are what you have is not what would have been factory installed in the first place.

no advice ?

Y​ou never asked me any kinds of questions. How is it I can be of help to you?

Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello. My name is Tan.

If you disconnected all the wires from the depth finder and the alarm still sounds then the depth finder isn't the alarm you are hearing.

The engine does have an alarm. When you turn the key on do you have the alarm sound?

that goes off after starting then after a different sound starts i have not been able to fined where the power to the depth comes from nor can i figure out how to set depth sounder i think after changing battery is when trouble started

Is this an outboard or sterndrive engine?

Stern drive

Locate the fuse panel under the dash and remove the fuse with the red wire. It should be the second fuse down. Does alarm quit?

This will be the power supply to the depth finder.

I have removed each fuse and still ringing I guess I am completely confused what other alarms are there oil pressure is good temp is good

The only other alarm you have is the engi8ne alarm. Locat the engine alarm and disconnect the purple wire from the alarm. The alarm will be under the dash follow the sound of the alarm. Is the gear lube bottle full?

the gear lube bottle is full

Have you disconnected the engine alarm?

Not yet I will try that tomorrow

OK