Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am having problems with a mercruiser 6.2? I can not get…

Customer Question
I am having problems...

I am having problems with a mercruiser 6.2 ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I can not get the motor above 2000 RPMs?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I have done alot of work on the motor with no luck ?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Hi, I have a 2003 Searay 270 Sundeck, with an original 6.2 MPI. It has Cool Fuel II , fuel system (Lift pump on the starboard side, High pressure on the port side.
far , I have replaced;
The in line filter,
the water fuel separator
Both fuel pumps (lift and high pressure)
The cool fuel cooler and the regulatorWith no progress in solving the problem
Engine will:
Run fine at idle,
Run 4000 rpms on neutral.
and will run up to 2000rpms before cutting out after about 20seconds.
Are you on line, Is any of this getting thru?
Hi,You can email me at***@******.***
Please response when possible .
Thanks
12/3/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is there any kind of story or history to this engine. Have you ever personally seen it run correctly?

Hi Jason,
So Wife and I bought this Searay last Fall , The salesman said It was wrapped for 5 years prior to me looking at the boat .
They prepped the boat for sell by draining the 5year old gas, and installing new fuel pumps and water separator.Ran well on land on a hose so we bought it (My bad-should have been a full sea trail).
Winterized it and tried to use it this past August. Thats when I noticed the bogging down problem.
InSept tried running the boat using a straight 6 gallon Jerry tank- still bogged down.
In Oct replaced the in-line filter, water separator and starboard lift pump- still bogged down
This week had a buddy of mine replace the port high pressure pump and regulator-tried it yesterday still bogged down
Fuel gauge is reading 39-44 till it starts bogging and drops to 20-30.
I can get it up to 2500 quickly and after 5-10 seconds it boggs, can run 2000 for about 20 seconds before boggs and almost cuts out.
I have never had it run correctly . Smartcraft says it Has about 195hours
Name is Thomas
Engine still starts easy and idles fairly smooth.

H​I Thomas. Okay I got all that. Couple of questions for you. So you said you ran the engine off of a jerry can. You also said fuel pressure was dropping from 39-44 down to 20-30. When you checked the fuel pressure, were you running off the jerry can or running off the boats fuel tank?

Jason,
Fuel pressure dropped using both the jerry can method and the boat's internal fuel tank.

What is the serial number on this engine?

Jason,
Could this be an electrical issue causing a poorly running pump?Serial is 0M653098
Motor has had two rounds of lift and high pressure fuel pumps trying to solve the fuel starving issue with no luck.

Okay got it. Is this engine on a bravo drive or is it an inboard with transmission? I ask because the Bravo engine also uses and additional boost pump. Next, is there any kind of story or history to the engine, have you ever personally seen it run correctly? Have you spoken with the dealer that sold you the boat yet about the issue, and if so, what have they told you? There is a vacuum line that goes down to the fuel pump in the fuel cooler assembly (the one under the exhaust manifold). If you pull that vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator, is there any fuel in that line, or is the line dry?

Hi Jason,
Is this engine on a bravo drive or is it an inboard with transmission? Bravo 3
I ask because the Bravo engine also uses and additional boost pump. Engine has 2 pump (Boost/lift and High pressure)Next, is there any kind of story or history to the engine, have you ever personally seen it run correctly? Have never since it run correctlyHave you spoken with the dealer that sold you the boat yet about the issue, and if so, what have they told you? Have not talk to the saleman
There is a vacuum line that goes down to the fuel pump in the fuel cooler assembly (the one under the exhaust manifold).
If you pull that vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator, is there any fuel in that line, or is the line dry?
Can I tell up at the top(connects at the intake manifold)?. This vaccum line is impossible to get to with out pulling the whole Cool Fuel II assembly out of the front portside of the motor.Are you thinking fuel could be going thru the fuel pressure regulator and back feeding into the intake manifold (dumping raw gas)?
What about closing off the vacuum line and trying the motor again ?
Unfortunately the history I have given to you is all there is.
What about ignition coil problems ? Since the ignition coil is feed by the same circuit as the fuel pumps, could a run load short circuit on the coil bring down the voltage to the pumps?

Y​ou can try pinching off the vacuum line and see if fuel pressure rises. It's also possible there is low voltage to the pumps causing the pumps to spin slower than they normally would. The pumps normally get 14V when running. But to test the theory you would have to get to the pump (which is a chore) and get a volt meter in there, and measure the voltage with the engine running and duplicating the problem. The other thing you can do, and this isn't easy either (Nothing ever is with boat engines). Is hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the boost pump and the high pressure pump. The boost pump is a low pressure pump and its output is 3 to 7 psi at all times. What you are looking for is to see if the output of the low pressure pump is dropping down below 3 or not. Its' a basic pass or fail type test. And this will tell you if the problem is related to the low pressure pump or if it's related to the high pressure pump. If you get below 3 psi on the low pressure side, then you start by measuring voltage at that pump first. If pressure is good out of the low pressure pump, then you move over to the high pressure pump and test the voltage there as well as checking the regulator to make sure it doesn't have a torn diaphragm. Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Hello, just checking in. How did you make out?