Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

ETEC 75 2005 engine. Had a computer that quit completely…

Customer Question
ETEC 75 2005 engine....
ETEC 75 2005 engine. Had a computer that quit completely (tech couldn't even read anything on it). A new computer and matching injectors were installed. Engine runs good but throws a no oil alarm. The oil pump is the new style without the pressure switch (and the wire that is supposed to go to the switch just wrapped off). Had the software updated with the inline oil system update. The dealer had a key switch installed at the engine, so didn't hear any alarm when run, but got home and the alarm is still there. My understanding is that the software update should ignore any no oil indications. Are there other sensors that could be detecting no oil? Ran the winterization a couple of times and there seems to be oil flow.Thanks for any help!!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
11/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the exact model number on your outboard engine, and what is the part number on this new style pump that was installed?

This is Mike - I'll have to check on the pump part number - don't have it, but the line that is supposed to hook up to a pressure switch (I believe the tan/white from the connector) just terminates and there is no connection to a pressure switch. That's why I believe it is the newer pump (the boat was purchased this way). Only started throwing the no oil code once the new computer was put on. The dealer said it had all updates and also the inline oil system was installed.

HI Mike. Lets start by getting both the full engine model number as well as the part number on the oil pump and we will go from there.

The engine I E75DPLSOR and the only numbers on the oil pump is Thomas Magnet 24-587. It's the standard one without the pressure switch (looks like(###) ###-####. It worked on the old computer without throwing the no oil alarm. When the new computer was put in, that's when the alarm started. Thus, we think it is something to do with software, but the inline oil system update was put on the computer by the dealer and it still throws the no oil alarm. Any ideas why it would still do this?

I have no idea what a Thomas Magnet 24-587 is. What is the actual evinrude part number on the pump that was installed? The correct part number for the oil pump is 5005804. ​Is there a reason that pump is not installed on the engine now?

That is the part number of the entire tank and pump assembly and is no longer available. They sell the tank and pump separately now. The pump number is *****(###) ###-####noted above and the pump on the system is most likely this one, as there is no pressure switch (the old pump had the pressure switch-the current part number(###) ###-####- does not).

That's odd... I can see Evinrudes inventory and according to that they are sitting on plenty of them. Which update disk specifically are you using for this new pump?

The "Inline engine oil system service update" - it is on the CD that comes with the(###) ###-####oil pump. I went to evinrude's website and the tank and pump assembly is shown as not available - OIL TANK & PUMP Assy. See Parts & Accessories Bulletin 2006-02(P). Regardless, the question remains, is there anything else that would provide the no oil indication? The pressure switch on these first evinrude engines were sensitive, which is, I believe, why they did away them on the new oil pumps... but not sure why we are getting the light and horn...

W​hen you hook up the boot strap tool, and run the software. Does it specifically say "Engine qualified for update" or "Engine not qualified for update"?

It said engine qualified for update and the update uploaded.

D​o you have any actual code numbers from EVDiagnostics regarding the alarm?

Not right off hand. I could ask the shop where it went and will have a bootstrap and software here in the next week or two.

T​hat would be your next step. Whenever a low oil light goes off there will be a code stored. The codes mean different things. Once you have some codes to go off of you will know which direction you need to go in.

I guess this can just hold for a bit - and it is no oil, not low oil... it would have to be a 34 or 38 code, but will check to see if the dealer saved the data, and, if not, will have answers in a week or two.

No problem, there are no time limits here.