Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Jason. I have a customer who wants to install a Lowrance…

Customer Question
I have a customer...

I have a customer who wants to install a Lowrance hook 5. He wants an in hull mounted transducer, i.e. epoxied to the inside of his hull. He does not want to make a hole in the boat and he does not want a transom mounted TD as they keep on breaking those when the boat is beached. It's a 6mm (1/4") aluminum boat. Is there a transducer available that can do that? Alternatively, can the Alumaducer sold by Radarsonics from Anaheim CA be used with the Hook 5? If you don't know that unit, you can google it, they have the specs on their website.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?

BTW my email is***@******.***

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
11/30/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

That Alumaducer will work, but only on the 200 kHz scale. This will really limit the functions that the Hook 5 has installed. You will not get the CHIRP or the Hybrid DI functions. If the owner has an issue breaking transducers, have them look into Transducersavershield.com. They make aluminum brackets for many transducers that prevents them from breaking. This would allow you to transom mount the transducer and get the functions of the unit while still protecting the transducer.

Thank you Charles.This customer operates work boats on Sydney harbour. They clean floating debris from the harbour. So they do not fish, they really just need to know how deep the water is at any time. Based on that, do you think the Alumaducer will be adequate?Thak you also for making us aware of the Transducersavershield. I think the customer is set on fitting the transducer in hull, but I will make him aware of the option.

For basic depth, that Alumaducer would work fine. There would not be a temp reading either, as the transducer is inside the hull. The 200 kHz scale would give good depth readings in the harbor.