Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

How do I repair a 79 sea ray baffle leak. I have exhaust…

Customer Question
How do I repair...

How do I repair a 79 sea ray baffle leak

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I have exhaust leak coming from fiberglass housing

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

It has a strong exhaust smell

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
11/29/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have any pictures of exactly what is leaking?

Are you still here?

Hi Jason. My name is***** had a massive backfire at rear exhaust engine was not running at the time I was trying to time it I could smell fiberglass my exhaust pipe runs into a fiberglass housing and the exhaust is exited under the boat that is underwater the exhaust is coming from the inside wall on the side of the boat like de lamination of glass between the housing and the inside wall

Hi Joe. Do you happen to have any pictures of exactly what is split/cracked/leaking?

Jason, are you a boat mechanic
Jason, are you still here

Yes I am. Degree in marine technology. 20+ years experience. Certified with Mercruiser and most other (but not all) brands. Whats up?

Are you familiar with 1979 sea ray's

Are you asking me if I have a working memory of a 40 year old boat? Of course not, nobody would. I rarely work on things over 15 years old simply because they get way to expensive to fix when the customer is paying 120 bucks per labor hour. What is your issue exactly, do you have a split fiberglass muffler?

I​f you have a split muffler then you simply need a new one. Did you need help in trying to find a new one?

Muffler is enclosed in fiberglass as part of the boat

I would still need to see it. Can you take any pictures for me? There are no time limits here so if you have to get back with me later that would be fine. Either way you would have to slice out the old part and fiberglass in a new part. Its just a question of either finding the right part or finding a company to make the part for you.

My thought before sawing the glass box to look inside is to pour resin between the inside wall and box where the rattle and fumes are coming maybe the backfire pressure delaminates the two
What do you think About my comment above
Hello, are you still there

Th​e problem is nothing is going to stick the old fiberglass. You have 40 years of burned and unburned gasoline, oil, and every other hydrocarbon out there that is on the inside of that muffler. You could whatever you wanted into the crack, smear it with bondo, smear it with a high quality fiberglass reinforced putty, and nothing is going to stick to it. It might work for a week or two under hard operation, but the "patch" is always going to fail, which is why I wrote that you need a new part. Does that make sense.

The fix is on the outside housing that is clean and not exposed to exhaust the housing is laminated to the side hull

I ​don't understand. Have you laid together fiberglass molds or laminations together before, either by hand or by machine, have you ever made fiberglass parts both gel coated and raw? More so, i do not understand, was your last questions a statement to me or a question to me?

Done fiberglass repairs only. I just want to attempt to seal the opening that was created by the pressure before attempting to saw open exhaust box
Opening is on outside
Correction, meant fumes are on outside

It is my professional opinion that whatever type of glue/epoxy/fiberglass/bondo/silicone ect that you try simply will not hold up in the long run, and it's nothing we would even bother attempt in the shop. Did you have any further questions on the issue or was that your primary question?

Thanks anyway

Y​ou really just need to bring your boat into a yard and let them give you an estimate. We can't offer the same level of service here especially when we can not see what you are looking at.

Thanks Jason