Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a Xantrex Truecharge 2 60A supply. It now does not

Customer Question
Have a Xantrex Truecharge...

Have a Xantrex Truecharge 2 60A supply. It now does not provide current when a load is placed on the system. Is there a mode where the unit operates that way? If so, how do I get it out of that mode so that it continues to power the boat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?

The unit used to work correctly, but now waits until the battery is discharged to switch to a charge mode.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Are you able to turn on the charger and either take a picture of the LED status panel or have a look at it and tell me exactly which LEDS are lit on it?

The remote panel shows current <5%; ready; charge; 100%. All three battery banks show full (3 green lights). The unit is set for AGM 3-stage charging. This is a normal status except that as systems start drawing power, the unit is supposed to provide current to compensate and the output indicator should show more green lights for percentage of outputs.

Good morning and sorry for the delay. When you replied back last night I had already logged off for the night. Do you know if your unit is set up with battery temperature sensors? (The battery temps sensors are optional, and not standard, so you may or may not have them)

it is set up with a battery temperature sensor. It is mounted on the ground of the battery.

Are you able to disconnect those sensors all together and see if it starts charging normally again?

but not until this weekend.

When should I check back with you, Saturday or sunday?

Sunday afternoon/evening.

O​kay I will check back with you then. In the mean time, keep me posted if you find anything. If disconnecting those temp sensors does make the charger work correctly again then obviously you have a faulty temp sensor. If that ends up being the case please do not forget to come back and select a rating for my service. You get charged either way but I do not get paid unless a rating is put through for me help. Thanks again -Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic