Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

The bow thruster operates with the push to starboard, but…

Customer Question
The bow thruster operates...

The bow thruster operates with the push to starboard, but will not operate the push to port. We think the unit is a very old (30 years?) Vetus unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The bow thruster is a 24 volt system. There is a joystick at both the upper and lower drive stations. The boat is 11.5 meter Dutch steel boat with a 125 horse IVECO motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Is this service free or is there payment involved?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, what kinds of questions did you have on the issue?

Good morning Jason, What needs to be done to repair the bow thruster so that it operates in both directions? Is this just a solenoid replacement? Martha
We are currently living aboard in Colombiers, France. A phone call would be pretty expensive. M
you're speaking with Martha, co-owner of the boat. I usually help diagnose and order parts for the boat repairs. My husband does the actual repair work.

Hi Martha. I would have to looks this up. What is the model number on your bow thruster?

Okay - well, we don't have that. We're going to have to do some v-berth/bunk surgery to get to it. Was hoping the answer would be to replace the reversing solenoid. We may just try that anyway before having to cut up the bunk.

I have no idea what the answer would be if I don't know what you have for a system. There are no time limits here, just reply back if you still need help with this.

ok

Okay good luck.