Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Peal, Tan has helped me with mechanical questions in the…

Customer Question
Hi Peal, Tan has...

Hi Peal, Tan has helped me with mechanical questions in the past. This time I have a sailboat structural question. Not sure if just answer can help.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Sorry Pearl, not peal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

I replaced my sailboat engine 2 years ago. The current model is about 75 pounds lighter and I would like to add ballast to my boat. I am thinking about using a led/epoxy slurry poured in the bottom of the holding tank which sits right below the engine. I trying to determine if this could cause structural issues down the road.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
The boat model is a Cape Dory 25D with ballast encased in the full keel. The holding tank sits under the engine in the keel. I am thinking led pellets.
11/26/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Can you just fill the waste tank with water to use as ballast? The tank is designed for water and that type of weight. If it were to break you would only have water to deal with.

I don't see any issues with the epoxy the tank is designed to hold allot of weight as it is. If you know the volume of the tank multiply that time 7 to get the amount of epoxy weight to add to the tank. This way you don't exceed the weight specs for the tank.

Does this make sense?