Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a 90 hp 2 stroke mecury that is leaking fuel and oil.

Started first after engine was...
I have a 90 hp 2 stroke mecury that is leaking fuel and oil. Started first after engine was run then tilted forward for towing. Would drip out of the bottom of cowling and into the rear of boat. Now it will drip when tilted forward without having been run. Been told it could be a bleed line check valve issue by Mercury. Cant seem to located where these valves are on the engine
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Dont know for now. Would like to verify if there is bleed check valves first and where they are located first
11/24/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is it leaking when tilted down/level as well, or does it only leak when tilted up? Can I also get the serial number on the engine so I can see exactly which version of the 90 you have.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Hi, Steve here. The engine # is 1B452160. It was just leaking fuel and oil after the engine had been run and tilted forward for like ready to tow. The it started leaking without it being run and tilted forward. Now it seems to leak when standing straight up. May be residual oil and gas dripping. Does appear to be getting worse.

Hi Steve. It's actually normal for it to leak when tilted up. When the engine runs the carbs float bowls are always full of a fuel oil mix. When you shut it off, there is still a fuel oil mix inside of the float bowls. What happens is the carbs have main discharge nozzles in the center of them. When tilted up, fuel simply spills out of the discharge nozzle not any differently than if you took a full cup of water and slowly tilted it until the cup started to spill. The EPA put a stop to this type of carburetor design and this type of thing wouldn't fly in 2017, but when this motor was built there was no such regulation against it. It's nothing you have to worry about and the leak isn't going to hurt or effect anything. It's just the nature of the beast for this vintage and style engine. On a side note, this isn't a Mercury specific thing. A carbureted Evinrude, Yamaha, Suzuki ect all do the same thing. Even the older 4 stroke carb engines do the same thing. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thanks and happy holidays
Jason

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I've had this engine for 10 years and never seen it do that before until recently. Mercury told me that it could be "bleed line check valve " problems. Are there is such a valve on this engine and if there is were would it be located?

There is a check valve that would prevent oil from back flowing down the fuel line. When this happens, what happens is oil will leak into the fuel line. The fuel line will fill with oil. When you crank the engine over the fuel pump will suck all of this oil that is now in the fuel line and dump it into the carbs. When this happens the engine will either be extremely hard to start, with tons of oil smoke once it does start. Or it simply will not start at all because the carbs are full of to much oil and no gas. Other than that I have a degree in marine technology. I am certified with Mercury and other brands. I have 20 years of experience. I also own a Mercury 150 XR6 engine myself that does the exact same thing. They all leak oil out of the carbs when titled up. It's completely normal for both Mercury and any other carbureted outboard engine.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic