Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My boat Volvo Penta 5.0GL is beeping when I turn the key on…

Customer Question
My boat Volvo Penta 5.0GL...
My boat Volvo Penta 5.0GL is beeping when I turn the key on and won't turn over
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Boat
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have checked the oil pressure switch and the throttle switch.
11/23/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is the starter solenoid clicking when you turn the key to start? Do you have a volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurements? Are you near the boat now?

The solenoid is not clicking
I am near the boat
Which voltage measurements?
My name is James

Hi James. When you turn the key to run, is there any power to the gauges, do the gauges power up?

O​kay lets start with this first. Hold the key to start with one hand. With the other hand wiggle the shifter handle back and forth, rocking it on it's neutral position. Is there any reaction from the engine?

No response

O​kay pop the key switch out. Check for power on the yellow with a red stripe wire while the key is held to start at the same time. What do you get for voltage on that yellow/red wire?

Yellow and black?
4 wires yellow big red small red and purple

No, it should be yellow with a red stripe. Do you have a yellow with a red stripe wire?

I hear a very slight buzzing noise
which other wire do I touch

Your positive meter lead goes to yellow/red, the negative meter lead goes to any good ground. (typically black)

With the key on
It's from 7 to 8.9 volts
10 volts

Okay next, you should have either a solid red or a red with a purple stripe wire. What does the voltage read there with the key held to start?

The red wire goes from 10 to zero when I turn the key

Okay next, go to the battery. hook meter positive up to battery positive, meter negative to battery negative. Turn that key to start again. What are you getting for a reading at the battery? When you do this check, make sure there are no chargers of any kind hooked up to the battery.

Starts at 12.6 and goes to 11.9

Is there any kind of battery switch installed on the boat between the battery and engine, or do the cables go directly to the engine?

No switch they go directly to the engine

Hold the key switch to start for roughly 30 seconds. Then afterwards go down and run your hands up and down both the positive and negative battery cables. Do either of them get hot?

Neither one got hot

I do apologize for the wait in between replies. I have family here at the house for the holiday. Next. Take your meter and hook meter negative to the positive battery terminal and meter positive to the opposite end of the positive battery cable, where it connects at the starter. Hold the key to start, and get a reading. Do the same thing on the negative side of things to. Let me know what you get for both sets of readings.

Positive was -.5. Negative was +.48

Okay those numbers are good. The problem ultimately is you have corrosion in the wiring someplace and that corrosion is causing a drop in voltage. That is why your voltage is dropping on the red wire from 10 to 0. Corrosion is taking that voltage and absorbing it, turning it into heat. The corrosion can by anyplace in the engines electrical system or the harness that runs up to the key switch. It's very possible it's just in the red wire at the key switch itself. Where I would start is by cutting the terminal off that red wire, stripping the wiring back, and crimping on a new connector and see what happens. If voltage is still dropping at this point you have 3 options.

1. Is to pull the extension harness between the engine and key switch, cut it open, and see if you can find any corrosion in it.

2. Replace the harness with a new one.

3. Get an inline fuse holder, a 20 amp fuse, and some 12 to 14 gauge wire and simply attach 1 end of this wire to the battery (with the fuse holder) and run the other end up to the key switch. This will get you 12V back to the key switch and allow you to start the boat again. That being said, harness's are expensive, so personally If you brought this boat to me I would lay out all your options, but I would push you in this direction. It will definitely correct the problem and all that is needed is to run 1 wire. So it shouldn't be to bad time/labor wise. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and happy thanksgiving.
Jason

I ran a wire that didn't help

You ran a new wire before you did all this testing or did you run the wire after you did all this testing?

After the testing

T​his will be my last reply for the evening. We can pick this back up tomorrow. Is your voltage still dropping from 10 to 0 at the key switch like the last time?

Good morning. How did you make out? Is your voltage still dropping to zero on that red wire even after running a new one?

I​t looks like you read my last reply and left without responding back. Did you still want or need help with this, or are you all set? (You did get charged for my help)

I still need help
I didn't get it started