Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am having trouble releasing the seal in my tilt trim unit…

I am having trouble...

I am having trouble releasing the seal in my tilt trim unit on a older johnson 70 2 stroke its locked in uproght position and wont manually release

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The motor tilt is locked in the full up position i cant release it

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Mod no. BJ70TLERC Ser No. G 03510405

11/23/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. When you say it won't release, are you trying to turn the manual relief screw on the trim unit and it will not turn? Or does the screw turn, but the outboard not lower?

it turns but does not lower

Did you check to see if the trailer lock was flipped down?

thats the white flip down bracket?
I think I need to release the pressure in the pistons or something, it wont budge an inch

I just want to make sure we are on the same page. Click this link for a diagram - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1984/J70TLCRD/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20HYDRAULIC%20ASSEMBLY/parts.html

In the diagram #66 is the manual release screw. Is that the screw you backed out?

it says manual release also
I think tis this model1994 Johnson J70TLERC 70hp Outboard

O​kay if it's not going down with that screw backed out it's going to be 1 of 2 problems. Either;

1. The pivot tube has a lot of corrosion in it. The pivot tube is the portion of the outboard that it pivots up and down on. It's the part where the steering cable goes through. There is a large nut on both sides of the pivot tube. What you can try here is to disconnect the steering cable. Then loosen up the nut one 1 side of that pivot tube then try to tighten the nut on the opposite side. When you do this the pivot tube should start to spin. (Hopefully it spins). This will break up the corrosion inside of the tube. and allow the outboard to lower.

2. There is corrosion in the seal for the main tilt rod. Click this link, this is the trim unit for a 94. - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1994/J70TLERC/POWER%20TRIM-TILT%20HYDRAULIC%20ASSEMBLY/parts.html On this one #1 is your manual relief screw. #23 is your main tilt rod. #21 is the end cap. Inside of that end cap are a bunch of seals for the tilt rod. Those seals can corrode and when they do they pinch the tilt rod in place. If attempting to spin that pivot tube does not work. The next step is to change that end cap out. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

that would cause it to have a lock up?

Yes both would cause it.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Phone call session started