Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Jason Ihave a pair of Honda bf225 with bent shafts. I'm

Hi Jason Ihave a pair...
Hi Jason Ihave a pair of Honda bf225 with bent shafts. I'm having a hard time getting the bearing carrier out. My questions are what are the best ways to get them out? Do both the regular and counter rotation lowers bearing carrier come out with the shaft? And if they do what kind of puller should I use?
11/23/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Do you have a proper fixture to hold the gear cases in place?

My name is***** have a vice to hold in place
I have the manual so I have already removed water pump and shift rod

Hi Khalim. If you dont' have a fixture then you are not going to have the tools to do this. A proper fixture is going to run you $500 give or take. You will also need a few other things. Did you still want me to explain how to remove this or did you just want to take it into the dealer?

Please explain, I'm pretty sure I'll be changing these shafts myself.

Y​ou need 3 tools to do this. You need a fixture, a 10lb or so slide hammer with 3 jaws, an oxyacetelyne torch with a heating tip. Click this link, this would be an appropriate fixture - https://www.sterndrive.cc/product/89-101-01K.html

The reason you need the fixture is you need something that is going to hold the lower unit in place, rock solid, so that it can not move at all. After that. Remove the shift shaft. Remove the 2 bolts on the back of the carrier. Drain the oil out of it. Put the thrust washer from the propeller back on the prop shaft and put the prop nut back on the shaft. Next, heat both sides of the gear case with the torch until the case is glowing nice and cherry red. Once it's nice and hot, attach the slide hammer to the thrust washer, lock it in place, then start hammering away. The prop shaft and earing carrier will both pull out at the same time. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic