Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 22 yr old Wellcraft eclipse 260S I picked up this…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 22...
Hi I have a 22 yr old Wellcraft eclipse 260S I picked up this past summer for close to nothing. The motor has low compression, needs an intake manifold, and new manifolds and risers. Needless to say, a new motor is the best route to go so I am going to repower over the winter.
I was doing some checking on the electrical system yesterday, coutisey lights, radio, ect.. Because the boat has not been used for some time both batteries were low. I put a charger on and was able to do the check I wanted.
After checking the electrical components, I wanted to see if the boat start so I clicked the button on the charger that put it to 30Amps for cranking. I neglected to check the battery switch on the boat which, it turns out, was set to All.
I put the water rabbit ears on the outdive and I cranked the boat over a few times. After the third attempt I heard a pop after which I no longer had any power to any of the electrical components.
I want to find out if there is some type of master breaker I tripped or if I just added to the issues by frying my electrical system
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Boat
If there is a master breaker can you tell me where it is. The engine cover is currently down so my visibility and access to the battery and engine compartment is limited because I can only lift the rear seat and view both from above
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

There is a circuit breaker on the engine that has most likely popped. Have you lost all power to everything even shore power to the batt charger?

The boat is an open bow so there is no shore power. I plugged the charger directly on to one battery. To answer your question - yes I lost power to everything. I can’t turn it over. I also get no readings when I have the key turned to the on position even though the charger is still plugged into the battery.

Ok look on the top of the motor for a circuit breaker. This will be a red button.

How are you accessing the batteries if the engine cover is down?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Hi Boat is 90 miles from me so don’t have quick access to get serial number.The back bench seat is also the engine cover. I can flip up the the top of the bench seat to access the top of engine and batteries. To fully work on it. I need to lift the whole cover. Done by electronic switch which is not working.Putting this to the side for thanksgiving this afternoon. I plan to go down to boat tomorrow. I’ll pick it up then

OK at the battery switch you should have a red wire smaller than the battery cables with an inline fuse or circuit breaker. This supplies power to all the accessories at the dash. The engine is on a separate circuit from the boat accessories. So check that fuse or breaker. This could be blown or tripped killing power to the dash accessories, nav. lights, bilge pumps, blowers, engine hatch lift etc.etc.

The engine also has a circuit breaker just for the engine.

Post back with findings when you get a chance if this doesn't get you fixed and we can continue.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician