Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I own a 1965 Hatteras Motoryacht with a pair of 1965 871N…

I own a 1965...

I own a 1965 Hatteras Motoryacht with a pair of 1965 871N engines. The fuel tanks are in the keel and they each have their own separate ,pick-up tubes and 1000FG racors filters, then the engine filter, and then the stock or maybe original GM lift pumps. The starboard side runs perfect but lately the port side can run out of fuel. I reprime it by sucking fuel from the return line while my mate pushes the start button. It then starts, purges itself, and runs fine. It is getting worse to the point where I can't trust it. For short runs I hooked up an electric 12V inline pump in front of the racor and this seems to work but I would prefer to make it right. I have replaced the lines, rebuilt the racor, installed a new pick up tube, and changed the valves in the fuel management system. It still accumulates air in the recor and stalls. I have not touched the lift pump yet. What do you think? Is it possible for this pump to be weak and not pump enough at idle speed?

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

I have two 300 gallon tanks. I seldom fill the tanks. I add 100 gallons, per tank, with diesel when I need it and I don't smell any diesel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '65 GM?

871N

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Hi, it is a boat and I do my own work. I have replaced the pick up tube, rebuilt the 1000fg racor, replaced the fuel management valve, checked the lines for leaks, and changed the engine fuel filter. I added an inline 12 volt electric fuel pump and that seems to work,but I am afraid I could pump fuel past a seal into the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is everything.

11/21/2017
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your boat question. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced,
I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question. Did you still need some help with this?

Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
I do. My phone number is(###) ###-####
Phone call session started
Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast