Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a new Pathfinder 2017 2600 with a Yamaha 350 with…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new Pathfinder 2017 2600 with a Yamaha 350 with seastar power steering, it worked fine 2 weeks ago, tried to use it yesterday and now the power steering pump makes a loud noise when I move the wheel in either direction, I have checked all over the boat and find no leaks

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

It has an electric power steering pump

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
11/21/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Does the outboard turn when you turn the wheel left or right, or is the outboard locked in place?

If you really crank it fast and hard you can little by little make it turn but not very fast or easy
I can eventually get it to go side to side

Did you check the fluid in the helm unit yet? Is there any clicking coming from the helm unit? (The helm unit is the pump that is behind the steering wheel)

I’ve checked the oil fill and removed the cap, it’s not flat on the helm its vertical so I looked in the hole the best I could and see no visual sighs of oil but of course I can’t see in the filler hole much more than an inch, the helm pump sounds some what normal, you can only hear a slight sound difference when your cranking the wheel and it seems to move the motor a little bit
FYI when I ordered the boat with the 350 outboard on it, the salesman convinced me I did not need power steering, I’m not a small or weak guy and I could hardly steer it, so I took it back to the dealer and he installed the power steering after my first time out, however it’s worked fine for 2 trips out after the installation but not it’s not

Are you able to disconnect the hydraulic lines to the power steering pump and turn the wheel and see if you get a lot of fluid out of the lines? Being that this is a warranty issue between yourself and the dealership, how far are you looking to take this?

It is definitely warranty but he’s a long distance and I was hoping there might be a simple solution before hauling it to him, is there a chance it low on hydraulic fluid and would the electric pump raise hell if it was low and dry?

The fluid is checked at the helm unit itself. You said that you checked the oil. Was it actually full to the top?

No I explained earlier I couldn’t see any fluid

A​ll you do is stick something down and into the hole, like a zip tie. And then see if there is oil in it or not. In a nutshell you either have a leak and are low on oil. Have a bad helm unit. Have a bad power steering pump. Or have a bad steering cylinder. Check the oil first and make sure that is full. If it is, go to the outboard, grab it, and try to shake it side to side. The steering cylinder (as long as it's full of fluid) will keep the outboard locked in place. If the outboard is able to move when you shake it back and forth, the steering cylinder is bad, if the outboard is locked in place, the cylinder is good and you move one to the next step. The next step is disconnecting the helm unit from the power steering pump. Aim the hydraulic lines into a clean bucked, and turn the wheel back and forth. There isn't any kind of spec here, but the fluid should more or less fly out of the hydraulic lines. If you get a good volume/good amount of fluid out of the lines, the helm is good, and the power steering pump is going to end up being the problem. If you get very little oil out of those hydraulic lines, then it's going to be the helm unit that is no good, and not pushing enough oil out. Does that all make sense to you.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?