Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have 2 Volvo penta 5.7 gxis. One of them keeps getting

water in the cylinder heads...
I have 2 Volvo penta 5.7 gxis. One of them keeps getting water in the cylinder heads, I replaced the manifold and risers. It’s still happening. The oil is clean. Can you help?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Either call or email
11/21/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? When you say you keep on getting water in the cylinder head, is water making it down and into the actual cylinders themselves?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi Jason,My name isCustomermy Boat is a Monterey 322.
It doesn’t look like the water is making it to the bottom part of the engine. The oil is clean.Here is a better description and background.About a couple of months ago if I let the engine sit for more than three days, it would crank but not start, I mean not even try. After changing the fuel pump, disti cap, and rotor, the problem continued. Eventually we took the plugs out, they looked fouled so we changed them, turn the engine over a little bit and put the plugs in and it started right up. An hour later started right up, the next day it started right up, but after sitting for three days it did not start again.At this point we were thinking it’s getting flooded with fuel. The next time it happened , instead of taking plugs out, we disconnected fuel pump and cranked it a little bit, the connected fuel and it started right up.The third time it happened, we were trying to start it with fuel disconnected and the engine locked. We pulled the plugs out again, this time water came out. So we thought we found the problem and replaced the manifolds and risers.It worked right away, the next day it worked, I started 5 days in a row and it started perfectly.
Then I left it for about 10 days and after 10 days it did not start again, changed the coil and while trying to start it picked again.We pulled the plugs and this time water gushed out of the cylinders on both sides. (I could see which ones)So I am very very puzzled where this water is coming from. I mean the risers and manifolds kids are brand new. Chances of both heads being cracked is little.Also it is important to note that when the engine runs, it runs without any hesitation or shaking or any problems. Is fact it ran an hour at 3500 rpm the last time it ran( after replacing the risers and manifolds)I’m puzzled, please let me know when you think and how we can diagnose. We were thinking of pulling the heads but i think there has to be a way to diagnose where the water is coming from without opening the heads.Thanks

G​ot it. Couple more questions. GXI engines are closed cooled with antifreeze and a heat exchanger. Are you getting water or getting antifreeze into the cylinders? When you changed the manifolds and risers, did you use brand new parts or used parts? Did you use factory Volvo parts or aftermarket parts? Did you check the gasket mating surfaces with a straight edge and feeler gauge to make sure the manifold to riser surface was in fact flat to within 0.010 of an inch? Is the boat moored in the water or is it trailered in and out

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
My engines are raw water cooled, I do not have heat exchangers. So I know salt water is coming out of the plug holes and I know my oil is clean, but trying to find where the water is coming from.
I used brand new parts and gaskets by BARR which as you may know manufactures for Volvo.
I don't think we checked the surfaces but I know they made sure they were clean and made good contact.
The boat is in water on a dock.

Hmmm... All GXI's have closed cooling on them. Closed cooling is not available on GI engines, Optional on GSi engines, and standard on GXI engines. Do you happen to have a full model number on your engine? Are you getting water in both banks of cylinders or just 1 bank?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I do. These are from the label
Engine Family: 3VPAM05.7GXI
Manufacture Date 5/2003
Engine Model :(###) ###-####Engine Serial number :(###) ###-####
Water came from both sides.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I think on one label it says 5.7GI-D

O​kay that makes more sense. Your serial number also says the engine is a 5.7GI-D, and not a GXI. All GI's are opened cooled engines. If you are getting water in both sides then either both exhaust manifolds have leaks, or the intake manifold is rotten out and water is leaking from the water in the intakes cooling water crossover passage directly into the air stream. It's kind of up to you where you want to start with this. All exhaust manifolds and risers are made in china, and the quality control is not good, even on factory parts. Whenever I do these I always check the gasket mating surfaces on both the top of the exhaust manifold and bottom of the exhaust riser with a machinists straight edge and feeler gauges. The surfaces have to be flat to within 0.010 of an inch. If it's any more than that, the gasket will not seal, and they will leak. Because it's easier to pull the risers than it is pulling the intake manifold, personally I would drain the manifolds and yank the risers, and measure both the manifolds and risers for flatness. If they are not flat, then take them off and either ship them back or get a file and flatten them yourself. If they are flat, then the problem is going to end up being the intake manifold that is rotten out and allowing water to flow from that crossover passage to the air stream on the inside of the manifold. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

It looks like you read my answer and left without selecting a rating for my service, responding back, or simply taking a minute to thank me. Was there something else?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Jason, I was driving.
Question, I’ve read that you can do a test to isolate the source of the water.
I believe they said. Pump water from a hose into the riser water inlet and see if you have water coming out of the plug holes.If no water the connect hose to thermostat inlet to see if water is coming out if the plug holes.What do you think? Will this help to isolate?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I rate Jason’s service so far excellent.

What you read may or may not work. What you have to keep in mind is that these parts expand and contract with heating and cooling. It's very possible the riser/manifold joint can leak when hot but not when cold. On the intake manifold, what happens there is the manifold simply rots and develops a pinhole. That pinhole can rust over and clog back up, sealing the hole, then open back up later on at a later date.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks we’re gonna take it apart on Friday and see. What’s involved in taking the intake manifold apart?

TH​e distributor needs to come out. The fuel system gets disconnected. Then the manifold comes off. It's a fair amount of work.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic