Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I will type the summary of my problem and paste it here in a

few minutes JA: Sometimes things that...
I will type the summary of my problem and paste it here in a few minutes
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: My boat is a 1997 Bayliner 2858 Ciera that I purchased used in 1999. The original engine was a Mercruiser big block 454. In 2014, I replaced the original engine with a factory remanufactured Mercruiser 383 mag stroker.2 weeks ago my son took out the boat and left the shore power partially connected. The refrigerator ran both batteries dead. As I replaced them, I carelessly reversed the polarity on Battery #2 and tried to start the engine.When nothing happened, I noticed smoke coming from the negative pole of Battery #2 and disconnected everything. Two of the negative cables were fried. I replaced the batteries and began the process of diagnosing the problem.I checked all the fuses and found that none of them at either the upper station or the lower station were blown. I opened the battery charger and found that both of the 15 amp fuses there were blown, so I replaced them.I checked all the wires and couldn’t see any others that showed signs of burns or a short. The battery switch looks fine. The 50 am circuit breaker at the top of the engine was not tripped.On blogs, I learned that the reverse polarity protection built into the new engine was a 90 amp fuse, so I replaced that.Despite doing all this, the DC power is still not back on.Please tell me what I am missing.Ben Gage
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: My summary says it all
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

We need to test for voltage on both terminals of the engine circuit breaker. Do you have voltage on both terminals?

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
If you can't call me right now, can we continue this discussion by chat ?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Tan, are you there ?
Phone call session started
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician